ultraglide

Diesel Exhaust Fluid Problems -- Any Ideas?

After three years no DEF issues at all. I do buy ONLY the jugs. Caution, there have been reports of tampered containers at Walmart. Always check to insure the seal is intact. I now know I'll never use the DEF at truck lanes.

Update: still trying to talk to someone at pilot.

May have to write to the Corp. headquarters . I am writing a letter to Cummins also since no one will call back.

I am going to buy the containers of DEF.

I would consider looking for an aftermarket company that makes a delete system to remove all of it for good. They are out there for light duty diesel and I had a customer tell me he just had it all bypassed on a Cummins in a Peterbilt, not sure of the quality but he reported a spike in fuel economy and power. The Def tank and DPF all appear to be in tact but the tank is empty and the DPF has a pipe welded through the center. As much as I feel doing the right thing is the best way to handle problems like this will beat you down.

good luck I hope they get to the root cause and this problem goes away.

Removing or disabling the system is a bad idea. Will kill your warranty. The DEF system is normally trouble free. The rest of the emission system can be a problem. . I drove a class 8 truck this past summer that needed DEF. Like most truckers I used the DEF at the pumps. In 40,000 miles I had zero problems. If bad DEF at the pumps was a problem there would be 100's of thousands of disabled trucks!!!

Update, with no surprise Pilot fuel has refused to own up to bad DEF. Orlando Cummins also said that they did a proper job even though their paper works says that they got MOST of the bad DEF out. Rocky Mountain Cummins is still being great and working with us.

Doser modules and nozzle failures are very common. We swing both even if the nozzle passes the test, they always fail after the module was changed. Bad DEF will excelerate the failures, we have them either stuck open or closed, from what we were told Bosch makes the modules for Volvo, Freighliner, international, someday they will get it right, it's a shame the consumer has to put up with and pay for their experiments. DEF does have a shelf life, if you look on the web you will find a chart, depending on how it's stored the life can drastically change look on the containers and be careful not to get it on the paint when adding.

Ultraglide. I have to agree with Pilot. They have a constant 24/7/365 turn over of DEF and Diesel, if the DEF was bad, trucks would be shut down all over the Hwy's! That said, I would contact Cummins in Atlanta, GA. and Chicago via Certified letter!

It would not surprise me if your codes come back on again! Computer chips and electronics is a fickled thing!!!! :rolleyes:

Rich, I now carry DEF that I buy from Wal-mart. It comes in a plastic container. I can see if it's bad. As far as pilot /flying J no help at all. Rochy Mountain Cummins in El Paso was fantastic they did the job by the book. Orlando Cummins would not help at all even though they admitted that they only got most of the contamination out. My suggestion it to buy from Wal- Mart and not from the pump of any truck stop. I learned my lesson.

When I had the Allegro Bus & DEF, I was forced to get it in jug! My tank was on passenger side rear so could not use pump! Wall Mart most of time, Cummins sometime. No problem, except when filling up....I'm 6'8" and bending over was a real pain! So very happy now... :wub: ...no more problem with sciatica !

Welcome to Cummins support network = FAIL !!

Now we all know why Caterpillar got out of over the road diesel market in 2010.

Do you have access to "State Attorney General’s Office for consumer affairs’” if so file your complaint now for duplicate service preformed?

Do you have a “Lemon Law” again for same service issues?

Written complaint with BBB?

It is one matter to call cooperate support network to offer feedback, it is another to inform them you have filed formal written complaints with the following………..

I have received written response from National VP’s coupled with refund(s) and vouchers after I filed written complaints.

There is a time to allow companies ample opportunity to resolve service issues. There also comes a time where written formal communication is required to garner attention to their failings on customer support.

Hoping that your DEF issue is resolved quickly......

No news just the same. Several posts back I gave an update as to what Cummins said. Which was nothing. But I have learned my lesson as I am now buying my DEF from Wal-Mart. I to like the name have had 2 of them now. Since my wife gave her Road King to her son I now have a Tri- Glide

If any of you HD Hogs folks out there are ever in Cheyenne, Wyoming stop in at High Country MotorSports. They are a Harley Davidson Dealer with a wonderful part and accessories department. Just ask for James, he is a very smart, good looking and all around great guy, MY SON.

Herman

Manholt the Tri-Glide is great. It is my first trike as an adult. The wife and I have a lot of fun with it.

DEF is the latest problem added to our diesel engines. All works well until you get a bad batch as in this post. DEF is both time and temperature sensitive. If you are down South and plan to stay a while do not fill your DEF tank, anything above 85 degrees shortens the life of the DEF and who knows what the temperature was in the warehouse before getting to the stores. 2 &1/2 gal. jugs are the way to go but check the born on date. My diesel truck does not have a way to drain the DEF tank.