Sign in to follow this  
gwtriker

Generator Troubleshooting

The generator in my 1998 Fleetwood Bounder 34J will not start. I am trying to troubleshoot the problem. I have several questions I hope someone can answer.

First, Is the fuel pump for the generator in the gas tank?

Next, Does the fuel pump start when you press the generator starter switch?

Any suggestions on how to determine whether or not the fuel pump is actually picking up gas from the tank?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Marty

Marty,

You did not mention when you ran the generator last. The fuel pump for the generator is part of the generator.

What is the oil level in the generator?

Herman did mention the possibility that the fuel level in the tank is below the pickup for the generator.

Rich.

Friend had a Bounder of the same vintage as yours. Problem with the generator not starting ended up being a bad fuel line (cracked and checked, thus leaking air). Had to drop the tank to replace the line.

Try connecting the generator fuel line to an external tank/can of fuel and see if it will start.

Lenp

Answers to the above:

There is about 3/4 tank of gas. I have run the generator with a lot less.

Generator has not been run for about 4 months, due to wife's medical problems. It has been a hectic time since.

Oil level is good.

Fuel pump does not seem to be on the generator, but I may be wrong. The fuel line goes from the filter (at the carburetor) down under the vehicle. I have not had a chance to crawl under and trace it yet.

I will be trying to use an external fuel supply tank to see if it will run.

At this point, I am trying to get information that will give me ideas of what to look for. I have read information an some sites about about the deteriorating fuel lines, but want to cover all other options before I even think about dropping the tank.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Marty

Marty, Think your coach is equipped with a gas generator so you might try a little starting fluid sprayed into the air filter to see if you get it to fire up or at least know you have spark.

Rich.

What type of generator? Are you getting spark when turning over? The fuel pump should be on the generator. Check for an in line filter on the fuel line from the tank.

Chris g.

F3508-s