jarjour

Dunlop Tires

Anyone had experience with Dunlop tires? I am looking to replace 255/70/22.5 for my motorhome. I have been looking at the Michelin Advantage Program. The Michelin's are $500 (FET included) whereas a dealer near Savannah is offering six Dunlop SP 160's for $2441, mounted, balanced and taxes in. That's just over $400 each. Seems kie a great deal but there is very little information on them in motor home applications. Any advice appreciated.

They are a medium size truck tire, load range G. Steer tire tread, but would work for the drive tires.

When you priced tires, did you price the RV series and or the XZE and other style Michelin's?

Rich.

Michelin owns BFG and other brands. Dunlop is owned by Goodyear. BFG is as good a tire as Michelin for RV Coaches, per Superior Tire in Oregon, that replaced all my tires in August 14'....I was told this by Dealer after I had 8 Michelins installed. Had I gotten BFG, it would have saved me $ 180 per tire!

It's kind of like insurance, the more they advertise, the more you pay!

I would not do Dunlop, but I would do Goodyear in your tire size.

Our Holiday Rambler came with Goodyear 670 series.We developed an issue with one of the steer tires at about 30,000 miles. Still plenty of tread but the date was getting close. Replaced them with Michelin XZE's 18 months ago thru the advantage program and could not be happier. A little pricier perhaps, but the ride and handling was significantly better.

I, like John, replaced mine with Michelin XZA2 Energy made for long haul coaches. I since put about on 15,000 miles ago with no noticeable wear. The Goodyear 670RV were shot at 29,000 miles. I'm betting theses tires will last much longer than the Goodyears. For all the plus over other tires I glad I went with the Michelin.

Thanks for your responses. The BFG's certainly seem to be the way to go relative to the higher priced Michelins. Interestingly at the shop I spoke with the Goodyear's are more expensive than the Micheins!

Also, from what I can tell the BFG's can be bought through the Michelin Advantage program. Planning to contact both FMCA and Michelin to confirm.

I believe that the Michelin Advantage Program is only for Michelin tires. As for cheaper tires I will only say this once. You only get what you pay for. Compare how both are built, load rating, pressure. I had low priced tires before and very unhappy with them because they just didn't last including BFG's.

Same size on my rig. 6 Yokohamas 16 ply H rated were just over $2500, mounting, valve stems, Equal and disposal. I kept one of the old GY 9R22.5s for a spare.

I put new Dunlop tires on our coach in the fall of 2009. They have been excellent tires. I will have to change them out in another year or so. To date, they have about 30,000 miles on them and they still look exactly like brand new tires. Last fall we had a road event that damaged a front tire. We switched both front tires out for new Bridgestone tires. They too seem to be excellent tires.

If you're thinking Dunlop, do check the GVWR of your axles and check the weight carrying capacity of the tires. Dunlop's load rate G has a little higher weight carrying capacity than some. It was absolutely fine for our coach. It may be for yours too.

Jim Sanderson

1995 Monaco Dynasty 36'

2005 Honda Pilot

Canada, eh?

The Goodyear G-670 is not a steering axle tire and will not last on the front. Suggest putting two Michelin XZA2 Energy on the front ... The G-670 is probably OK for the drive axle, but Bridgestone R-250's are also excellent tires. I wouldn't use anything but the Michelins on the front. Incredible difference in handling and ride ...

The Goodyear G-670 is not a steering axle tire and will not last on the front.

Can you provide a link that suggests these are not a steering axle/all position tire?

Thanks for your responses. The BFG's certainly seem to be the way to go relative to the higher priced Michelins. Interestingly at the shop I spoke with the Goodyear's are more expensive than the Micheins!

Also, from what I can tell the BFG's can be bought through the Michelin Advantage program. Planning to contact both FMCA and Michelin to confirm.

The FMCA Michelin Program also covers BF Goodrich tires.

Rich.

HI,

THAT IS THE EXACT SIZE TIRE I JUST REPLACED WITH DUNLOPS FOR $2100.-- OUT THE DOOR. THE COACH DOES SEEM TO RIDE A LITTLE BETTER BUT MAYBE I JUST WANTED IT TO FEEL BETTER.

MICHELINS VIA FMCA WERE $100. PER TIRE MORE EXPENSIVE SO I WENT THIS WAY AND LISTENED TO A FEW FRIENDS WHO DID THE SAME THING.

BOB HOOD

I have used the Michilen Tire program for my autos for a several years (even though the FMCA representative insisted the program is ONLY FOR Motor Homes) and have been very satisfied with the results. I have Michelins on my Class C motor home and was involved with the recall. During inspection it was discovered that I had some sidewall cracks, nothing major, which I reported and was given 7 new replacements for less than the cost of 2 tires. The original tires had 20,000+ miles on them and showed basically no wear. The replacement tires with 10,000+ miles on them also show no wear. I wouldn't use anything but Michilen.

greetings all -

We are brand new at Motorhoming as we bought our first rig last summer. A 2006 Forest River Georgetown 340 TS SE, 2004 ford F-53 Chassis with the original tires with 14 k miles. Looking at 6 replacements for the coming season. Tying to determine best approach and best solution for our needs. Both my wife and I work full time with teenagers still in HS. Local weekends trips and a two week summer adventure is what we are looking at for usage over the next few years.

Currently have Michelin 235/80 R22.5 XRV. Some small side wall cracking. Previous owner stored indoors. We are storing out doors with tire covers when not in use. Have tire code 4704 (all tires with an ending 04 year code) some I am concerned on age. Had a local tire company recommend to watch them last season as they thought the tires look good, but looking at a 2700 summer road trip in June and we will be adding towing a Honda Fit into the mix this season.

Any thoughts. Looking at the Michelin advantage program on paper. trying to get a out the door cost to compare with other tire replacement solutions.

Joe & Missy O'Neil

Fairfield, Ohio

Since the tires have not blown in 11 years, I would definitely replace them all with the same brand! Also, would not trust any tire on a RV more than 7 years MAX!

A blow out at 65 mph is a white knuckle flight!!! :lol::(

Carl C -

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your response and others who have been down this path before us and share what you have learned so we don't learn the hard way!

Just want to close the loop on this. I considered a lot of brands when looking to replace the 7 year old Goodyear's and ended up with Toyo's! Very pleased with the ride and quietness of these tires especially considering the price relative to the alternatives. Only time will tell how they hold up.

Again, thanks for all the help.

The Goodyear G-670 is not a steering axle tire and will not last on the front.

I'm on my second set up front, 11 years and 76k miles.