brown774

Sani Con System

I have tried to use the Sani Con system on our 07 Monaco Diplomat but always seems to be messy. I have tried different ways to use it and I can never get it drained completely which turns into a mess. How do I get the 3" hose which attaches the black/gray discharge valves to the macerator drained? After numerous attempts each time I disconnect it there is water/waste still there which drains into the compartment or on the ground. YUCK

I don't have a Sani Con but do have a macerator and the connection sounds similar to what you have.

1. Use a drip pan to catch any spillage when you disconnect. Size it so it will contain the usual amount plus more. Dump the pan down the sewer drain and rinse before you put it away.

2. Use a rinse hose (garden hose) to flush the connecting hose while the macerator is still running.

3. Cap the hose with a cap with nubs to connect to the hooks on the hose (available at Camping World and other suppliers).

That's what I do.

I have a Sani Con and never use it. Since my toilet is a electric macerator, I find that the Sani Con is as you stated. I use as much 3" as needed, up to 30 foot and if it's longer than that, I just back up coach and dump prior to leaving. When I camp long term ( 10 days +), my connections are closer to coach.

Use off a small drip pan is essential and I use aluminum pans.

"Old fashion", I suppose.

I also have a Sani-Con and stopped using it. I found that the flow is not great enough to move all contaminants from the black and gray tanks. The 3" hose flushes fast and moves most of the debris from the tanks. The black tank flush does the rest. I only wish H/R Monaco designed a gray tank flush into the unit as well. I guess the only time the Sani-Con would be handy is pumping uphill.

Jack,

If there is room you can install a flush unit on your gray water tank. They can be found at CW and other places. The S-C unit may be used to pump waste up hill for a very small rise, however they will burn out the pump should the lift be too great. Also pumping up hill will leave residue in the line that will leak out when you disconnect from use. :o:( Not a pleasant thought.

Herman

We have Sani-Con on our 2008 Dynasty and we love it. Our experience is just the opposite--it is cleaner and requires less potential contact with the raw sewage. When we travel we use the Sani-Con, exclusively. The only time we disconnect the 3" hose from the main outlet is when we are parked for an extended period at which time we connect our Polychute. The Sani-Con takes a longer time to complete a dump but we are never concerned with various hook-up set-ups at different campgrounds. When I shut the valves (black and grey) and disconnect the Sani-Con hose I don't encounter much, if any dripping. The only time I get sewage dripping upon disconnection is if the black or grey valve seals are failing and need replacement. I really like using both the Sani-Con and the Polychute; Sani-Con for travel and Polychute for extended parking.

You may want to check the by-pass hose/connection, if your by-pass is plugged-up then it is likely the sewage is not moving down the hose far enough before you disconnect from the discharge outlet. The by-pass is critical to allowing the sewage to flow when you leave the grey valve open when parked.

Ray

Herman,

You are correct about pumping uphill. I have never had to do that and hope I never will. I will look into the gray tank flush at CW.

Would be a good thing to have!!

If I understand you Ray, you don't disconnect the 3" hose from the main black/gray discharge valve wye except when you use the Polychute for extended stays. I guess leaving it hooked up while traveling, valves off would work, eleminating one potential spill. The Monaco manual does say disconnect and stow Sani Con hose. I do have a cap for it also. Will try your process next time.

Thanks to all.

We also have a 2007 Monaco Diplomat with the Sani-Con system. I like the system very much. I leave it connected most of the time, only disconnecting to winterize and now when staying in a park for several months in the winter (not using the Sani-Con at all). I like the easy dumping even though it takes longer to dump. As an additional advantage, the gray tank contents can be used to rinse the black tank (empty the black tank first; open the gray tank valve to fill the black tank; close the gray tank valve; empty the black tank again; repeat ). This does a better job of cleaning the black tank than just using the black tank flush.

cebuffett,

I am sorry but I will have to dis agree with you. :( The tank flush unit is designed to put high pressure water on the walls of you tank, thus breaking any caked on "stuff" off and allowing it to go with the flow. How can you close the holding tank and open the gray to mix the two? :huh:

I do agree that you drain the holding tank first and use the gray to flush the drain hose, but it is still a good idea to ever so often to flush the hose with fresh water.

We have a dump at our home and when we return from a trip I will drain the holding tank and use the flush unit several times. I will close the valve and re open is several times. When I see clear water running I will close the valve run several gallons of fresh water into the tank. then go back inside and drop a tablet in just for oder. :wub: Then I go back out and drain the gray tank thus flushing the hose. When putting the coach away I will always flush the hose with fresh water before I store the hose.

Herman

Herman. The only thing I do different, is to flush hose with fresh water after each dump, then put away. Since it's only me in coach, I dump black about every week or so and gray every 3 to 4 days...this is when I'm in RV park for a longer time, otherwise about every other day on road.

I do not leave hose out and connected. I have had more than one connector learn to walk away! All within the last 10 years.... <_<

10-4 Carl, have looked for years and can't find hoses that don't have feet. That is why I leave the hose full, then when someone trys to help it walk they get a suprise. :P:lol: Don't you wish you could be able to do that?

Herman

Herman - Have you ever had any problem with shower drain draining slowly. Could this be something with the vent(s) or just needing the pipes cleaned out? If clogged pipes, how do I go about doing that?

beford,

If I had a slow shower drain I might try plunger to see if there might a slight blockage that might be dislodged by the plunger. I may be wrong but most RV sinks and showers have a flapper type of vent on each one and a vent for the tank. One for Gray and one for Holding. The flapper type of vent will be placed above the "P" tarp and has a small rubber flag the will open when waste go down the drain and close when done. If the flapper was bad it would most likely allow some sewer smell into the coach. I would not try to use a drain cleaner, however you might try the plunger. You may just have some hair buildup that can be move by the plunger or even a small auger snake.

On the plus side your feet will get really clean by standing in the soapy water. :lol::lol:

Herman

LOL. I suspect a hair ball, you get them in house and RV. I have 3 screws that hold the drain screen in place, but have yet to use it! :wub:

Good luck.

Carl

hermanmullins,

With the SaniCon attached to the outlet but turned off the two tanks can connect using the two tank valves and not much waste goes out through the bypass in the time it takes for a full gray tank to equalize with an empty black tank.

Usual method with SaniCon: drain outlet connected to sewer; open black valve; turn on SC and black tank wash until tank is empty; turn off SC, open gray tank valve, wait a minute; close gray tank valve; repeat previous steps once or twice until effluent is almost clear; turn off black tank wash and close black tank valve; open gray tank valve and turn on SC until tank is empty.

When winterizing, I do flush with fresh water and then leave the SC disconnected.

I had a SaniCon on our 2011 Monaco Knight when purchased. The first thing I found to be a problem was that the end of the hose that connects to the sewer was too large to fit thru the hole in the bottom of the compartment. This meant that I either had to leave the compartment door open, or connect and disconnect each time to dump. Neither option was acceptable. I also found that it was very slow when compared to using the 3", and there was always some dripping from the hose. Just not as sanitary as using the 3".

Bottom line, the use of a SaniCon seems to be a love or hate situation. People either love it or hate it. I fall into the hate it category. I finally had it totally removed, and sold it for $150. The purchaser is happy and I'm happy.

I purchased the Sani-Con twist (not the portable suitcase stile) and took it on and off with each use and sometimes putting it on I had to put a far amount of pressure when locking it to the 4' dump pipe.. the two plastics always seemed to not want to slide together and believe that is when I cracked one of the locks so then I build a brace to hold the back of the unit and mounded it permanently and after a short use started leaking sometime in this process the second lock cracked. My concern is the 4 locks on the unit are of much less quality than the standard 4" hose dump hose which I have one that is 10 old a taken of a number of times and no sign of wear,,, Its less than a year under warranty, I called the company and they will not warranty it because I did the damage I can purchased a new lock for $68 but believe the sub standard lock it will happen again, but no choose as I paid over $400. Would guess the buyer be aware rule applies here

Just curious, I have no experience with any system other than the traditional sewer hose. I have a Rhino Flex 3" 15' with an additional 15' in storage if needed. I have family that use to camp and had a Macerator unit and I was told they are the greatest and i should go and get one, but I do not see a need for it.

I have never had a sewer problem, leak or any reason to look into another way of emptying my tanks, honestly my hands have never gotten wet in the process, unless the hose was wet from rain water on its exterior.

Am I missing something?