gaylemarlowe

Backup Camera Bug

Here is a good one for you guys.

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4320 with Voyager backup camera in dash.

The backup camera has worked flawlessly until last week. Had to take the coach into the Cat dealer for an issue with intake heater cold start. During the process of fixing the engine issue, they had to turn the key on and off many times rapidly.

When I picked up the coach I did not notice that the backup camera was ON going down the road. Before it only came on when you either used reverse or manually turned it on with the power button on the faceplate.

Now, it is on all the time whenever the key is on and cannot be turned off. If I hit the power button, nothing happens, it stays on.

What could have happened and is there a fix?

Gayle,

Sounds like a logic circuit issue. Could you post the Make and Model of your Display for the group.

Hopping is just needs to be reset-if it has that option.

Can you find the power fuse feeding power to the system? If so remove the fuse or unplug the system. Anyway that you can remove all power to it. After a time re-power the system and see if it works !???

Rich.

Rich,

Thanks for the quick response. I will try the items you mentioned and let you know what results I get.

Also will get the info on the Voyager.

Gayle

Rich,

You were absolutely right! Pulled the fuse for the backup camera, let it set for 5 minutes, plugged the fuse in and turned the key on. Viola!!!

Works just like it used to. Evidently there is a memory in there somewhere and it had to be cleared.

Thanks again for the cheap fix. Checks in the mail. :) :)

Gayle

Now Gayle don't be stupid like my self. My back up monitor would not show a picture. I check every thing I knew of and then called the factory. Told the tech his unit was bad. He asked "Did you press the VIEW button?". :o I did and the D*&*^ thing came on with a great picture. :huh: Some where I or someone had hit the View button and turned off the picture. Glad the reset worked, will keep that in my memory bank.

Herman

Gayle,

Just got back on the forum-been moving the last 18 to 24 in. of snow nature thought we needed!

Thing is the big old tractor I use to run the snow blower just dropped a valve. One more project to

an ever growing list.

Glad the thing reset !! No payment needed, but if you know someone with a large number of empty gravel cars used by the railroad. You can send them to the Northeast and we will fill them with some extra snow as we are running out of space to pile it.LOL

Rich.

Hee Hee.:) :) We may try to take you up on your offer. Here in Southeast Colorado in the edge of the mountains, we are way down on our snowpack and need the moisture. I'll put the word out to the local rail yards and see if we can help you with your snow removal problem. :)
Gayle

On a similar issue, I too have a Voyager camera system in my HR with an Aladdin coach monitor system. I tend to have the screen set fro 4 split screens, the rear, both sides and the coach monitor. Recently the screen would shift to the monitor only and freeze up. can not use menu or change screens to see cameras.

Now the rub. When I turn on signal lights or go into reverse, the respective camera comes up just as it should. While parked, I used menu to change split view to single. Worked fine for while with rear camera only in view, then locked up to system monitor only.

Again, left and right cameras work with turn signal and rear when in reverse but goes back to monitor only under normal driving conditions. I have powered system down and restarted but no change. If I turn on ignition only, all seems to work fine.

Any thoughts on where to trouble shoot.

John,

The first thing that comes to mind is noise generated by the alternator regulator circuit.

Soft or electronic switches and circuits do some strange things when there is noise on the 12 volts.

Checking all the ground points are good might clear the problem ???

Does the problem tend to happen when the engine has been running with a high ambient temperature ?

If it works fine when the engine is off - I would disable the alternator exciter circuit and turn the alternator into just a expensive pulley and see what happens when you start the engine it will run fine on battery power.

If your coach is equipped with a self exciting alternator you will need to remove the 12 volt output from the generator - NOW remember that this wire goes directly to the battery positive, so you will need to isolate it from ground well.

Did you system work with this setup ?

Rich.

A thought - if the generator has never been replaced and with a good number of miles on the coach-it could be noise caused by worn brushes.

Rich,

I will attempt to check it out. System does work with engine off, but it also works intermittently when engine is on and coach is rolling down the road.

The last time out, it work fine for first 200 miles of a 250 mile trip, but work only 10 miles of the return home. On another trip it worked off and on the whole trip. That perhaps suggest the loose ground could be issue.

Coach has 34k on it and generator has about 500hrs on the clock.

Aladdin coach monitor system (I believe 211 v3.03) with Voyager camera and monitor. I will check camera model, Have not had chance to get to coach to see if other suggestions work. Thanks

Aladdin coach monitor system (I believe 211 v3.03) with Voyager camera and monitor. I will check camera model, Have not had chance to get to coach to see if other suggestions work. Thanks

John, I have not found any relative information relating to the circuit or system specifications yet, but I bet it is out there some where.

As I mentioned, grounds and a source of noise when the engine is running kind of stand out from the information you have posted.

The fact that things work when the engine is not running - leads to noise being the key and there is an outside possibility of a cold solder connection at one of the internal line voltage line filter capacitors or a filter cap that has failed internally.

You might try to place a capacitor - 35 to 50 ufd @ around 25 volts DC across the input power. REMEMBER they are polarity sensitive so you need to know the positive and negative side of the input power.

If this does not offer any help, the noise frequency is higher. One can use a capacitor decade box; not a common item now days - to select different sized caps connected across the power input.

you could get some help from an electronics tech. should this be outside your skill sets.

The only information I can offer regarding your problems at the time.

The equipment is no longer being manufactured or supported. However ! Silverleaf has a replacement system. I do not know the cost, but they do use the existing circuit wiring. This would help cost wise, relating to installation labor.

Links.

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/node/4158

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/sites/silverleafelectronics.com/files/Aladdin%20Web.png

Rich.