Sign in to follow this  
pusherdiva

2015 Weather Radio and Travel Path

Hi all!

We will be beginning our first cross U.S. trip from Arizona to Maine and back the beginning of April. Being a born and bred West Coaster I am terrified of tornado's! That said, I have some questions I hope some of you will be able to provide me some insight regarding the following questions:

1. Is it best to travel North from AZ and then east in the spring months, or should we be traveling south and up the eastern area in spring and come back via north path in fall?

2. Does anyone have a preferred weather radio that works well in RV? OK, I have to admit being a West Coaster that TORNADO's freak me out!!!

3. We have 40' motorhome and tow....any recommendations on RV parks on east coast? Especially concerned with Washington DC and New York City proximity parks. We have pets, so if we have to place in kennel environment for a couple of nights we would like to know.

Oh gosh, I know there are so many other questions, I just cannot think of them at this time....so any input at all, we will be so grateful!!!

For weather alerts, I use my smart phone set to same. You might check with your cellphone provider to see if your service will adapt anywhere you roam.

pusher, There are a number of good weather radios. We are currently using one from LLBean.

This is a link to a Tornado chart. It lest the most active mouths by year. You will notice that things change some.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/newm.html

THE KEY to weather information when one is traveling, is knowing what County you are in and the state you are traveling through. Warnings are by county for the most part.

Know what a wall cloud looks like as the weather front changes.

Mr. Tom B. is our resident meteorologist.

Rich

Note, when the ground moves - that makes me nervous !! LOL

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, just take the route that you want each way, but stay aware of the weather forecasts and warnings.

We are going through the midwest this coming spring and I will closely monitor the weather each night on local TV, internet and my smart phone apps (My-Cast Weather is one that I like). I am always ready to detour or even retrace my track if there are severe weather warnings ahead. Being caught out in a tornado in my MH is just about the last thing I want to happen.

Having said all that, I still try to enjoy the travel, knowing that I can't plan away ALL potential dangers.

Enjoy your trip.