pusherdiva

First RV Trip from West Coast to East Coast

Question

Hi all!

We will be beginning our first cross U.S. trip from Arizona to Maine and back the beginning of April. Being a born and bred West Coaster I am terrified of tornado's! That said, I have some questions I hope some of you will be able to provide me some insight regarding the following questions:

1. Is it best to travel North from AZ and then east in the spring months, or should we be traveling south and up the eastern area in spring and come back via north path in fall?

2. Does anyone have a preferred weather radio that works well in RV? OK, I have to admit being a West Coaster that TORNADO's freak me out!!!

3. We have 40' motorhome and tow....any recommendations on RV parks on east coast? Especially concerned with Washington DC and New York City proximity parks. We have pets, so if we have to place in kennel environment for a couple of nights we would like to know.

Oh gosh, I know there are so many other questions, I just cannot think of them at this time....so any input at all, we will be so grateful!!!

4 answers to this question

While in Colorado last year, I heard on TV of the "Storm Shield" app. I downloaded it on my smartphone and it gave me updates on bad weather all the time, it "traveled" with us, without having to update our locations.... even when at the upper peninsula of Michigan (Sault St. Marie area), and now at home. Highly recommend it!!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

28' Coachmen/Concord w/tow

Spring and early summer can exhibit bad weather in the midwest and plains states. Rain, high winds, tornados etc. I would take the souther route and then up the east coast to Maine. Your return trip could take the northern route, just leave extra time to stay in the RV park if high winds or bad weather is predicted on your route. I would also stay away from Dakota Ridge RV Park in Golden, CO. My rig got an electrical surge there and it caused a lot of damage. I now have a surge/low voltage protector hard wired in my rig.

Hi all!

We will be beginning our first cross U.S. trip from Arizona to Maine and back the beginning of April. Being a born and bred West Coaster I am terrified of tornado's! That said, I have some questions I hope some of you will be able to provide me some insight regarding the following questions:

1. Is it best to travel North from AZ and then east in the spring months, or should we be traveling south and up the eastern area in spring and come back via north path in fall?

2. Does anyone have a preferred weather radio that works well in RV? OK, I have to admit being a West Coaster that TORNADO's freak me out!!!

3. We have 40' motorhome and tow....any recommendations on RV parks on east coast? Especially concerned with Washington DC and New York City proximity parks. We have pets, so if we have to place in kennel environment for a couple of nights we would like to know.

Oh gosh, I know there are so many other questions, I just cannot think of them at this time....so any input at all, we will be so grateful!!!

Where in Arizona are you starting from? Where do you want to hit the East cost? If going to Maine I can give some recommendations.

Bill