haeffele

Do Not Buy A Winnebago Class A!

We are the unfortunate owners of an 2013 Itasca Ellipse (Winnebago Tour). We have had nothing but major problems with this poorly designed and manufactured coach. If you would like to read a synopsis of our sad story with this coach, please go to http://www.oilartist.com/winnebagoletter1.pdf and http://www.oilaritst.com/winnebagoletter1.pdf. These two letters outline our frustration with a product that is complete piece of garbage and should not be purchased by anyone.

The Lemon Law is not exclusively for cars, the law extends to "other consumer goods" as well. A motorhome is an other consumer good. I'd start with filing a written complaint with the State's Attorney General.

Thanks for this thread. We were looking at a 2014 Tour. The Winnebago line is now out of consideration for us as well. If we ever get to CA Mike Thompson will also be out of consideration. I would also start a lemon law complaint as well as consult with an attorney about these troubles. Good luck with kicking Winnebago's proverbial "A _ _"!!!!!

Can I ask why you took delivery of this Coach in the first place, after a good PDI, some or most of the defects should have been noticed...I truly hope you can get ahead of this...

Someone mentioned Lemon laws, unfortunately in many states, MHs are excluded, depending on the State in which you purchased it, will you be allowed to proceed .

Can I ask why you took delivery of this Coach in the first place, after a good PDI, some or most of the defects should have been noticed...I truly hope you can get ahead of this...

Someone mentioned Lemon laws, unfortunately in many states, MHs are excluded, depending on the State in which you purchased it, will you be allowed to proceed .

California and Iowa (Iowa Lemon law Chapter 322G.1-15) as is true in most states follow federal ruling... this is an excerpt from Federal ruling:

"Federal RV lemon laws protects people like you who have purchased a defective RV. If the manufacturer or dealer is unable to service or repair the RV to meet the terms of the warranty after a reasonable number of repair attempts, the manufacturer is required promptly to replace the vehicle or refund your money. Many times however, the dealerships fail to make amends for the lemon they have sold to a consumer.

Some of the types of Recreational Vehicles that are protected under California lemon law include:

• Class A Motorhomes
  • Class B Motorhome
  • Class C Motorhome
  • Fifth Wheel Trailer
  • Travel Trailer

A good PDI will not in many cases find most of the problems. Driving down the road for a few months shakes all those problems to the point they appear. The slide problems in all probability would not have shown their ugly head until after some use.

Even though ALL manufacturers have problems with new product, it seems certain manufacturers have the attitude that get them out the door and fix them later. Unfortunately this means hours, days or even weeks getting major problems fixed.

I have heard of more problems with Fleetwood and Winnebago than all others recently, but Tiffin went through their problem period as well, as did Newmar and most others.

I doubt that there is a manufacturer in the industry who can produce a trouble free coach, some seem to have more issues than others. What sets manufacturers apart is how they handle their issues after delivery. Some, like Winnebago, have a reputation of abandoning the buyer once the sale is done. Others, like Newmar and Tiffin, seem to step up and acknowledge their issues and try their best to fix them. My previous coach was a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton which had every problem that could occur on Tiffins during their "problem period", including small issues like shade string breaking, problems with the electric jacks, and the "Big Three", Roof rails cracking, DS slide floor rotting, and wet bay floor rotting. Tiffin stepped up and repaired all issues, as late as 5 years after the sale. That's why we are now driving a 2015 Phaeton, which is relatively trouble free and are very please with it.

Tiffin would also be on my short list if/when we trade. Yes they went through some problems, but seem to have solved them. And yes they stand behind their products. Newmar seems a good choice as well. Both are manufactured by companies that the owners are still directly involved. This is not the case for Winnebago and Fleetwood where the owners are corporations that are NOT directly involved in the manufacture.

A PDI is no going to find items that break 5 or 6 months down the road. I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W. My wife has not so affectionately named it "Citrus," to be PC. We have had more problems than little liver pills.

Here is one example: (I'm going to condense this) Raised jacks. Alarm will not shut off. Stopped at Winnebago Service Center in IA. Stayed 10 days while they tried to figure it out. Last day there they said it was fixed but instead they created another problem that when the jacks were extended the "out of stroke" system appeard and the jacks stopped extending. Manual extension was able to continue. Rasing jacks alarm still on. Kwikee manual states there is a high pressure port on the manifold and it should be 1500 psi. Three technicians and a service advisor standing there scratching (whatever) and i asked, "Did you check the pressure port to see if it has 1500 psi?" The service advisor looked at the lead technician and the lead technician replied, "We don't have a gauge." They were unable to correct the sitation and after 10 days we departed for home. Dealer at home worked, at my storage unit, tryiing to identify the problem. After so many time of me telling them that it was most likely a "reed switch,' they were able to stop the alarm from not shutting off. When I asked them what they did, they stated they replaced the reed switchs (all four of them). Really!

Come on now. This is the service center and they don't have a gauge that would cost less the $100 to make! They could not determine that pin 6 on the controller was not shorted to ground when the jacks were retracted? (Think reed switch open)

It has been over two years now and the jacks have continuously been giving other problems and still have not been fixed. At present it is back in the shop and 3 new jacks are being ordered. Wonder why Winnebago switched to Kwikee hydraulic jacks and and electric slides instead of sticking with a HWH. Oh, they are back to using HWH I was told.

More examples of poor craftsmanship, part defects, and overall poor service upon request.

p.s., bad paint job in all storage compartments.

I do understand about the poooor craftsmanship . As we are having some small problems with many things and now one that may turn out to be a big one. We now have a slide that has those 4 tracks and one has jumped track. The only thing that the Owners Manual says to do is to assist it in or out manually.

It looks like you are from CA. They do have agressive Lemon Laws here. Google Lemon Law CA and make yourself aware of the 4 or 5 items you need to file. (You easily will qualify). Then google for a good law firm that specializes in LW but doesn't do too much seedy advertising. Before engaging them tell the dealer...."We can do this the easy way or the hard way". They will probably refund your money without hiring a law firm. Your should get your money back. You do NOT have to have them "fix" the coach.

New and watch it go thru the line. New off the show room floor, or lot. New Custom built (if you have very deep pockets). Pre owned. Those are the choices and they are all a "crap shoot"! It's been a problem since the first RV came off the production line. Just more so today, than 45 years ago! There are more Class A's on the roads now, just as there are millions more people who want and demand to have one!

Supply and demand, dictates quality control. I can still remember, where ours was the only Motor Home in the Park and at 26' to 31', we where the biggest coach or trailer on the road. Every once in a while (mostly New England) we would run across a Flexible Conversion!

Next time your in the area, stop off at Marathon Coach in Oregon, or Liberty Coach in Florida....the coaches you see inn and around the parking lot, are not all there to trade in on a new one...the more "Modern day high tech.", the more problems we have. You would think that for 1.3 to 3 million dollars, you would be trouble free!

We have even more problems in a "cookie cutter" coach! So, we are left to wonder, who will give us the BEST after purchase service?!

My 2 cents worth

Carl

Wow. We have heard bad things about every manufacturer during our RV travels. We love our Winnebagos. Had a 2011 Journey 40U. Trouble free. Traded for a 2015 Ellipse Ultra and it has been awesome these first 8 months and 6000+ miles. Sorry you have had problems but we would recommend Winnebago Journey/Meridian or Tour/Ellipse to anyone.

There CAN be problems with the moderns behemoths which travel down the road at 60+ mph but we have had two Winnebagos and loved the first, love the current. Again, sorry for your issues but we have been at rallies for Prevosts, Newells, BlueBirds, Foretravel, Newmar, Tiffin, Thor and Winnebagos. They all would love to be perfect but alas, that is not the case. Some have problems like yours, some have bigger issues but most, and I believe most, are incredible marvels.

We have been blessed with that so far.

Best of luck in your journey.

Wow. We have heard bad things about every manufacturer during our RV travels. We love our Winnebagos. Had a 2011 Journey 40U. Trouble free. Traded for a 2015 Ellipse Ultra and it has been awesome these first 8 months and 6000+ miles. Sorry you have had problems but we would recommend Winnebago Journey/Meridian or Tour/Ellipse to anyone.

There CAN be problems with the moderns behemoths which travel down the road at 60+ mph but we have had two Winnebagos and loved the first, love the current. Again, sorry for your issues but we have been at rallies for Prevosts, Newells, BlueBirds, Foretravel, Newmar, Tiffin, Thor and Winnebagos. They all would love to be perfect but alas, that is not the case. Some have problems like yours, some have bigger issues but most, and I believe most, are incredible marvels.

We have been blessed with that so far.

Best of luck in your journey.

Welcome to the forum.

Bill

rwilli,

Are you aware of the standard "reasonable number of repair attempts" means in terms of visits as detailed in the CA and IA Lemon Law? It would be nice to know what the number of repairs attempts is just for knowledge.

BLK-9

Why can anyone buy a new car (any make) and have it made to the strongest quality manufacturing system enviable today, and buy a motorhome that is also free of quality issues? Simple answer the customers are not demanding it. They live with the problems and and manufacturers let their dealers take care of the defects. No way to run a railroad.

Well it is sad when you spend that much money and don't do your due diligence. Why would you take possession if it had a bunch or problems? Once you sign that paperwork you have lost almost all of your clout.

Why would you wait till it was out of warranty to start complaining? It seams the OP who has a total of 2 post continued to travel and use the coach with out getting the items fixed. Then is complaining about the "extender warranty" not being that good. How many times have I said there are to many loopholes in any extended warranty.

Bill

A PDI is no going to find items that break 5 or 6 months down the road. I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W. My wife has not so affectionately named it "Citrus," to be PC. We have had more problems than little liver pills.

Here is one example: (I'm going to condense this) Raised jacks. Alarm will not shut off. Stopped at Winnebago Service Center in IA. Stayed 10 days while they tried to figure it out. Last day there they said it was fixed but instead they created another problem that when the jacks were extended the "out of stroke" system appeard and the jacks stopped extending. Manual extension was able to continue. Rasing jacks alarm still on. Kwikee manual states there is a high pressure port on the manifold and it should be 1500 psi. Three technicians and a service advisor standing there scratching (whatever) and i asked, "Did you check the pressure port to see if it has 1500 psi?" The service advisor looked at the lead technician and the lead technician replied, "We don't have a gauge." They were unable to correct the sitation and after 10 days we departed for home. Dealer at home worked, at my storage unit, tryiing to identify the problem. After so many time of me telling them that it was most likely a "reed switch,' they were able to stop the alarm from not shutting off. When I asked them what they did, they stated they replaced the reed switchs (all four of them). Really!

Come on now. This is the service center and they don't have a gauge that would cost less the $100 to make! They could not determine that pin 6 on the controller was not shorted to ground when the jacks were retracted? (Think reed switch open)

It has been over two years now and the jacks have continuously been giving other problems and still have not been fixed. At present it is back in the shop and 3 new jacks are being ordered. Wonder why Winnebago switched to Kwikee hydraulic jacks and and electric slides instead of sticking with a HWH. Oh, they are back to using HWH I was told.

More examples of poor craftsmanship, part defects, and overall poor service upon request.

p.s., bad paint job in all storage compartments.

We too own a 08 Winnebago Destination, not too many on the road! We have had our problems with this coach as well, from wall slide problems and leveling jack problems to a current problem with the Apollo Half Time oven. It shuts off at 10 seconds and service light comes on. Have you had this problem?

Hmm! Guess I'll not be buying either of those brand when it's time to go new.

New to this! Just replied to your first post back in Feb. We own a 08 Destination as well and have had some problems with it too, slide wall, jacks etc. We now have a problem with the Apollo Half Time oven. It shuts off after 10 seconds and service light comes on. Have you had the same?

Retired Navy Master Chief!