Sign in to follow this  
musselmanphotos

Younger: Wanted a DP, got a DP. Hello

My wife and I live in Indianapolis and are in our 30's. One of my dreams have always been to own a diesel pusher for us to travel in, little did I realize that time would be sooner than later. I work as an RV tech at a dealership on the eastside of Indy and 2 weeks ago a customer traded in a well taken care of 1990 Mallard Overland with a 3208 Cat and Allison auto. For 24 years old it is in really good shape just needs a little updating, slight tlc, and new paint. By working there I got a pretty good deal on it, although I was dealing with a hesitant wife, I bought it. We currently rent a house near downtown and we are now thinking of purging unnecessaries and moving to living in the coach full time for a year to save for some land in the country, although we are still in the talking/analysis phase. Hoping we can meet up at some of the rallies around Indiana and the tri-state area. Named it Dream Maker.

post-43973-0-93175100-1423883320_thumb.j

Hello, I'm new here as well, sounds like a great idea, just make sure you check out the costs of living where you have hook ups and a site. One more bit to ponder is it costs a lot to repair the motorhomes so put some money aside . Have a great time, it's a great experience. Have you ever come across Gone with the Wynns online? A young couple with a ton of info and ideas for saving money, boondocking, and general advice. They are wonderful.

Good luck!

Welcome to the FMCA forum to both of you!

The DW and I purchased a used class C when we where in our late 20's and early 30's. We decided to save up for a house before we got married and found the one we still live in 6 weeks before the wedding.

Kind of a meeting of 2 worlds, She is a city girl and I lived most of my life in the country. She helped me enjoy cultural events in the concrete canyons and I exposed her to the tree covered canyons and country culture.

Enjoy life as time pass way to fast, but we both know that we and the kids have enjoyed the odd couple they know as mom and dad. :wub::blink::rolleyes:

Rich.

I would like to welcome you both to FMCA. Hopefully you also joined the club!

We did not purchase our first and present coach until we were ready to retire. We missed out on some of the pleasure you will now have the opportunity to enjoy this lifestyle when still young.

musselman,

As may will say Welcome to the Forum. Hope you have or will join FMCA. Your are correct, that is a good looking coach. You'll have some great and wonderful adventures to look forward to.

Herman

That is a nice looking coach. Hope the engine has a turbo. I remember the naturally aspirated 3208 smoking like a train. Stay tuned in to this website. There are a lot of knowledgeable members here.

Welcome to the forum, congrats on the "new dp", happy motoring and being an RV tech yourself, will be interesting to watch your upgrade.

Thanks for the welcome folks. Yes being a tech helps a lot. Just today after work I wrenched on the Honda EV6020 genny. It had gas in the oil. Figured it was the carb's float and needle messing up. Took carb off to find it in really good shape, drained oil and changed filter, took a closer look and found the carb vent tube completely blocked. I opened that up, put the carb back on, fresh gas in the tank since it was essentially empty, and it fired right up and runs like a champ.

As far as upgrades goes it will be a little bit at a time. First will be the replacement of the carpet in the bathroom and living room, and the ceramic tile in the kitchen area. Just put new front steers on Thursday. The 3208 is a turbo model, and needs 2 immediate things. 1) New belts 2) Exhaust manifold gasket needs replaced. Fortunately I'm also an old farmboy and used to working

Just noticed that the last part of my response was cut off. Don't know what happened. But yes we are members of FMCA, signed up the night I bought the coach. Not part of any chapters yet because not sure how soon we will be on the road. Still discussing moving into it full time. We can live on property at my work for free and we have a dump station so that is the main motivator for me to want to go to full time. With the savings we can become debt free and then be able to travel in a short period. But we shall see. Hope to hit a couple of gatherings nearby.

Just noticed that the last part of my response was cut off. Don't know what happened. But yes we are members of FMCA, signed up the night I bought the coach. Not part of any chapters yet because not sure how soon we will be on the road. Still discussing moving into it full time. We can live on property at my work for free and we have a dump station so that is the main motivator for me to want to go to full time. With the savings we can become debt free and then be able to travel in a short period. But we shall see. Hope to hit a couple of gatherings nearby.

Okay Musselmanphotos it's time for an update!

Did you ever move in full time? If so, are you still living aboard?

Did you get your Dream Maker out on the road?

Do you still own your DP?

Inquiring minds want to know! :-)

The Hoosier Cruiser Chapter would welcome you. We have 6 to 7 rallies a year, April through October traveling from the south to the north and back south to follow the weather in Indiana. The Hoosier Cruisers in central Indiana will be meeting on December 1, at Golden Coral in Anderson at 2:30 for a late lunch or early dinner. Golden Coral is located on the southwest corner of the Exit 226 of I-69 and Hwy 109. You would be welcomed to join us.