jamesaye

Power Steering Problem

I am a full timer driving/living in a 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter. It has a Cummins ISL 400 Diesel engine with an Allison 3000 MH 6 Speed World transmission with electronic shifter. Today while doing a slow, hard right turn in a Walmart parking lot, the steering wheel "jolted" back left then allowed me to complete the right hand turn. I continued to drive another 25 miles without incident to the campground. While backing into my space, the steering became very hard. If I was moving (either forward or reverse) the wheels would respond almost normally. When stopped, I could not get the wheels to to shift from left to right or vice versa. I want to check to ensure the steering fluid is full before trying to take it in for service, but I don't know how to check it. Is there a dip stick for it, or a reservoir with a level indicator? I never get underway without checking fluid levels of the engine, transmission and generator, or the air pressure in the tires, but I guess I should have been checking this component too. My question is what might have caused this symptom and what should I do to troubleshoot it? Thanks for your help and suggestions!

James, There is a reservoir for the power steering pump, that is often located in the rear of the coach.

Some models use the transmission.

Contact Monoco with your chassis information to get power steering information.

Link to a PDF Brochure for your model.

http://media.rvusa.com/library/Holiday_Rambler2005scepter.pdf

Contact information-www.holidayrambler.com (800) 245-4778

Built on a Road Master Chassis

Rich.

DickandLois -Thanks for the quick reply.

I have downloaded the Scepter pdf and called the 800 number. That got me to Allied Recreation Group who gave me the Monaco Service Department number in Oregon. I'm in Florida now and will have to wait for Pacific time zone to call them. I've also opened the engine compartment from the rear and I can not see anything that might be a power steering reservoir, problem is I am not sure what one looks like. The .pdf mentions the power steering box but only in the context of that its construction allows 50 degree turns in both directions. I'll give it a few hours to call Oregon and see what they say.

Again thanks for the advice!

Jim

On my Spartan chassis there is a large round reservoir and it has a filter inside it, there is also another external filter ( looks like a oil filter ) and has a gauge on it. It holds hydraulic fluid. If these filters are dirty it will affect your steering.

Actually, many of the large, black hydraulic fluid reservoirs with banjo fittings holding the lid on have THREE stacked filters. I just changed mine this week as preventive maintenance.

Be sure to VERIFY the correct fluid. Some use motor oil, some Dexron and some hydraulic fluid. Not a matter of better or worse, just that you do not want to use one not designed for your system.

Yes the filters are the first step then you have to look at the linkages and steering box. Steering box can have leaking internal seal to cause same problem. If you can't handle it you have to go to a chassis shop.

Once again, thanks to all for your inputs. I am taking the advice to change the filters and hydraulic fluid and then test to see if that helps. If that doesn't correct the problem, the next step will be to take it in to an authorized Roadmaster chassis shop.

Rich,

Yes, I finally found the correct part number at a Cummins Dealer. The Fleet Guard OEM and Nelson part numbers for the filters is 87610B. The Cummins part number is 84101B. The Monaco Service Rep confirmed that the correct hydraulic fluid for my 2005 Holiday Rambler with a Roadmaster chassis is Dexron III. To all on this forum I send my grateful thanks for the support and information :)

Jim