Sign in to follow this  
smokeater75

Almost Didn't Start

Good morning everyone, we are currently in Oklahoma city. Saturday night we arrived in Council Bluffs Iowa, Sunday morning got ready to leave turned the key wait to start light went out turned ignition nothing. Tried 4 more times on the 5th time it started. We drove all the way to Oklahoma city without shutting down. Checked into RV park, shut down and started 3 times in a row no problem. I'm wondering if there is a relay problem. Any ideas.

2003 Monaco Windsor 8.8 L ISL 370hp 1200lbs torque.

New starter, batteries, alternator. Thanks for any help,Smokeater75

smokeater,

In your compartment in front of the wheel on the drivers side is your 12 volt fuses. On the left side wall are two solenoids. The next time you have this problem, with the key on, take your volt meter and check for 12 volts on each solenoids right hand side stud. If you do not have voltage then you have a bad solenoid.

When you go to the parts house be sure to ask for a continuous duty 12 volt solenoid. Be sure they give you a continuous duty one. I have had to replace several on differ coaches.

Herman

Yes if nothing that normally works with ignition on (i.e. Allison shift pad, dash HVAC fan, etc) the IGNITION SOLENOID is the first suspect.

Try unplugging and plugging in the terminals on these solenoids as Monaco doesn't weatherproof any of their connectors. Don't ask how I know.

Edit: OK I posted a picture if anyone wants to check under my username.

Just a thought, when my coach would not start, found the terminals on the wires connected to the batteries were corroded and in a couple of cases almost broken through. Had the bad connectors replaced and all connections cleaned well. No more problems.

This problem started as intermittent starting, just as you are describing. I let it slid until the coach would not start. DUMB on my part!