Sign in to follow this  
akadeadeye

Electrical Problem 50 Amp

Here is the situation. Furnace failed (hydronic...another story) so I put a ceramic type heater in the rear of the motorhome and one in the front. 26* outside. Brrrrrr. Breaker tripped. I moved the front heater to another plug in an attempt to put it on a different circuit. Everything OK now. Until....I decided to heat up a sausage biscuit in the microwave. As soon as I turned it on we lost all AC power. I looked for a tripped breaker inside and out (on the pedestal). None. I tripped every breaker inside and out. The control panel shows we have 121v on Line 1 and 122v on Line 2. Checked the GFCI plugs. All OK. Control panel shows the only power is DC. Unhooked pedestal AC power and turned on the generator and checked the generator breaker. Same results.

What is going on or what have I missed?

Don

Just did that and found a popout fuse/breaker that was popped out. Pushed it in and now all power is restored. Thank you for your response. Learned something new. This is about the 742nd new thing I have learned about motorhomes.

Again, thank you.

Don

Ha my wife and her friend did the same thing one morning. Toaster, coffee pot and tea kettle all plugged in same branch and running same time. It popped the breaker on inverter and I wouldn't reset it until they moved at least one to the other branch. I wasn't so popular at that time but right about the load. Make sure you have the load spreaded between branches.

Ha my wife and her friend did the same thing one morning. Toaster, coffee pot and tea kettle all plugged in same branch and running same time. It popped the breaker on inverter and I wouldn't reset it until they moved at least one to the other branch. I wasn't so popular at that time but right about the load. Make sure you have the load spreaded between branches.

How can you tell where the loads are? It doesn't seem they form a pattern of location in the coach.

Don

On my coach on the inverter there is two output breakers. One for each branch as the 50 amp service splits it. One breaker tripped means that one branch tripped. There was other outlets and and appliances in the coach still working.

Sometimes, I cheat a little in a tight, I always carry a heavy duty, (#12) 50 foot extension cord, plug it into the 20 amp outlet on the pedestal and run through a window with a little insulation to seal up the leaking window, to the second heater.