motorcyclemania

Workhorse Chassis

I'm thinking about buying a 2010 Allegro Tiffin with the Workhouse chassis. I have a Class C with a ford v-10 now. I need to know ya'lls thoughts on the Workhorse. Like mpg durability and it strengths and weakness.

Thanks for any help you can give.

motorcyclemania,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

If this is the Workhorse W chassis, it is a well regarded chassis. Mileage is likely be very slightly better than the same coach with the Ford chassis/V10.

I had a class C coachman 31 ft on a Ford chassis and the V10. I sold it and bought a used 2003 Pace Arrow 37 ft Work horse chassis and Vortec 8.1 w/Allison tranny. The Workhorse is night and day over the Ford. Power, mileage, shifting all better than Ford. The only problem has been the brake calipers sticking. The recall was done at a dealer who was supposed to change a flush the brake fluid. I found they didn't when a year later the right rear stuck. I replaced the caliper changed and flushed the fluid. I used the new Valvoline DOT 3-4 fluid. Now on 2nd year no problems. I plan on changing and flushing every 2 years. I get parts at NAPA and if you get one check out Omey's website it has loads of info and parts for Workhorse. I used a plan he had on the website to make a DIY trac bar. That was a big improvement in handling.

We have a 2008 TREK with a W-20 chassis. It has a Vortec 8.1 and a6 speed Allison. In 38,000 miles, we've never had an issue ( I keep up all maintenance).

I have never found a situation where we lacked power. On really steep hills, I downshift to 4th gear (1:1 direct)- run the engine at 2800 RPM- and climb anything.

We also were affected by the brake issue, but LazyDays did the recall before we had any real issues.

motorcyclemania,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

If this is the Workhorse W chassis, it is a well regarded chassis. Mileage is likely be very slightly better than the same coach with the Ford chassis/V10.

Brett, what years had the brake concerns I often read about... reason; I have a relative looking at a Fleetwood with a Workhorse chassis 8.1 Vortec. the coach is a 2010.

Thanks

Joe

Brett, what years had the brake concerns I often read about... reason; I have a relative looking at a Fleetwood with a Workhorse chassis 8.1 Vortec. the coach is a 2010.

Thanks

Joe

I'm not Brett, but I can tell you that ALL of the W20 thru W22 chassis ever built were recalled to replace the faulty Bosch Brake calipers. If the sixth vin # character is a "6", it was recalled. The W24 chassis, the P32 chassis, and the R26 "ufo" chassis were NOT affected by the recall because they did not use Bosch.

I doubt if there many Workhorse W20/W22 chassis that have not already had the brake recall done, but it is something you would want to verify before purchase.

We had a 2002 W22 and put 52k miles on it, including a summer in Alaska, and it perfromed well.

This page has a list of all recalls that applied to that chassis:

http://workhorseclub.com/index.cfm?display=pages&pageid=8557⊂=d