ultraglide

Schwintek I Wall Slide Out System

We have a 2014 Winnebago Journey now with a slideout failure.

Does anyone have any experience with a Schwintek I wall slideout system?

We have a 2012 Journey 42E and had our kitchen/living room slide fail this past year. It was fixed under warranty (Extended). Our RV repair place said there had been failures reported with only the slides that go out "level" (our bed slide is also a level slide, but has not yet failed). Our super-slide (27') tips as it goes out. It is fine.

The fix replaced all the original parts with heavier looking tracts at the top. Sorry, I can't speak to the brand names. We were told failures didn't always occur, but if they did, it was the slide that travels in a level fashion. Ours failed when we pulled the slides in right in front of our repair place, about 2 years into our ownership. We live in our Journey and volunteer in Oregon/Arizona State Parks, and only move every 2 months in general, so our use of the slides (in and out) might be somewhat less or more than vacationers.

Don't know if this helps. Getting those new coach bugs fixed was on-going those first 2 years. We haven't had a failure of any kind now for a whole 3 months! Still, life is an adventure and this is ours. Wishing you the best.

Don't know if you've been able to get your slide fixed but sure hope so. We had a 2013 Itasca Meridian and had the front passenger slide fail three times (Lippert/swintek). We already had the 500/1 ratio motors put in and new tracks but unfortunately it was not a permanent fix.

The last failure caused the slide to drop as it was coming in, so after much soul searching we decided go trade the coach. We really liked everything about the coach-great layout, however we were just concerned it would fail again while we were far from home, etc.

Best of luck with yours-sure hope all turns out well!

I too have a slide that won't slide. It's in a 2000 Monaco. It's a hydraulic system and I think the manufacturer is HWH. The battery terminals are clean and tight, and the hydraulic fluid tank is full. When I press the switch to extend the slide, I hear what sounds like a solenoid clicking.

Lowell,

Do you have any compartment doors open? The doors under your slide, on a Monaco, have lock out switches that will not let the slides operate if they are open.

Herman

Update on Schwintek system. Had work done at their Goshen, Indiana plant.

Made it all the way home and opened up the slide only to have one wire come loose.

I called Lippert and they came out 21/2 hrs and spent 2 hrs fixing the unit.

We have a 2013 Winnebago Journey. The bedroom slides and passenger front slide are Schwintek.

Bedroom slides have been fine. However, the front (large) slide has an issue, being repaired as I write this.

When the slide is retracting, the trim is pushed away from the side of the coach. The force snaps the heads off of the retraining screws, beginning at the bottom. Dealer solution: Install larger screws at a closer spacing. I don't know this will be a permanent fix, as it is the second time I've had the same problem. Winnebago hasn't offerd any real help, other than a goodwill participation on the latest repair.

Although we love the coach, floorplan, Maxxum chassis, et al, I fear we will be shopping for a new coach in the near future.

We're looking at a Tiffin Phaeton. Anyone have any thoughts on that coach?

larrydyork - I was looking for a motorhome on Class A chassis I could trust. As I looked at the various pictures on the Internet, my wife looked over my shoulder and remarked "Look at all those cabinets!" and thus the choice was made. In the picture was a Tiffin Phaeton. We eventually purchased a used Tiffin Allegro Bus, but as fate would have it we had a problem with the coach and took it back to Red Bay Alabama for repair. While we were there we toured the Tiffin factory and paint shop. In my work life I saw the inside of many production facilities, but in all my visits I never saw another factory where the workers displayed the dedication and care I saw in the Tiffin factory. The tour was directly on the factory floor. We had to wait at one point for them to move a wall section over where we were about to walk. They hid nothing. If you are interested in new Tiffin unit, I recommend you camp for a day or so at their facility and take the tour. They will even call you when your unit is scheduled for assembly so you can watch your unit being built and take pictures from the floor. On the tour I met a man that was on his eleventh class A unit and he was watching his fifth Tiffin being built.

As far as the Phaeton itself, it is slightly smaller than the Allegro Bus I have and is built on the same basic chassis. After two years of ownership, my next unit will likely be a Tiffin, perhaps even a Phaeton.

As for the slides, my 2001 coach had a problem with the front slide this year. The roll pin holding the gear on the drive motor slipped out, hung one cross brace and stalled the motor. I used a screwdriver and hammer to drive the pin back in place and all is well again.

We have a 2013 Winnebago Journey. The bedroom slides and passenger front slide are Schwintek.

Bedroom slides have been fine. However, the front (large) slide has an issue, being repaired as I write this.

When the slide is retracting, the trim is pushed away from the side of the coach. The force snaps the heads off of the retraining screws, beginning at the bottom. Dealer solution: Install larger screws at a closer spacing. I don't know this will be a permanent fix, as it is the second time I've had the same problem. Winnebago hasn't offerd any real help, other than a goodwill participation on the latest repair.

Although we love the coach, floorplan, Maxxum chassis, et al, I fear we will be shopping for a new coach in the near future.

We're looking at a Tiffin Phaeton. Anyone have any thoughts on that coach?

We have a 2014 QBH, love it....

Ouch! We have considered that model once our insurance claim is finalized.  On our 2008 Winni we had a motor fail but not until seven or eight years later. Ours are Electric (Kwikee).

It happens but twice...ouch.

There are a number of Youtube videos on the various systems from Lippert such as Schwintek. These include how to check the error codes, how to get to the slide motor so you can push the slide back in.

My Schwintech slide failed this weekend. (less than 20 uses but of course out of warranty.)  Luckily ? it failed when closed so we could return home with no real problems.

Weather is supposed to be better tomorrow so will be digging into the system myself.

1 hour ago, tireman9 said:

There are a number of Youtube videos on the various systems from Lippert such as Schwintek. These include how to check the error codes, how to get to the slide motor so you can push the slide back in.

No problem for a stepper.:D Let us know what you find.

Bill

I watched the videos and discovered the problem was the motors were "out of sync". This is something I should have been told about by dealer - General RV, and the manuals should have been included with the Forest River purchase but no manuals and no instruction were the cause of the problem.

Luckily the error was fixable without a trip to the dealer and $70 - $100 /hr labor to fix the problem they caused.

tireman9 and others having problems. Synching the motors is an easy DIY operation. No need for a dealer. Before I give the procedure one thing everyone with Schwintek slides needs to know. Always, without exception, when opening or closing the slide keep the button pushed of a minimum of 5 seconds after the slide stops. This will keep the motors synched.

To synch the motors:

1. With slide in.
2. Press Slide Extend button three times very fast to get in program mode.
3. Immediately press  Slide Retract button and hold until motor stops making sound.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 five times.

You can reverse these procedures If the slide is out.

Thank you, that is much needed information that will help now.  Also, others in the future!

Edited by manholt
was gramaticaly incorect & a dropped word.