jleamont

Campgrounds, Myrtle Beach SC

We are planning a trip to Myrtle Beach SC this summer.

I was thinking about Lakewood Campground so we could be beach front. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I am stuck. I could use some input from fellow campers that have been there. Since we will be there a week I do not want a disappointment or an out of control party zone. We experienced that in Virginia Beach a few years ago, we can live without that. I understand they are a dry campground which is OK with us. We prefer to take day trips from there and tour the area and not have to worry about the motorhome getting damaged from the party bunch you tend to find on holidays.

Any one been there?

Living in and previously traveling to MB when we lived in Raliegh with at least a couple stays per year even now, we would rank them as follows:

1 pirate land ocean front

2 mb travel park ( north mb) ocean front

3. Ocean lakes ocean front

4. Koa

5. Lakewood ocean front

6 MB state Park

7 Huntington beach state park

8 Apache ocean front

Can't comment on on briarcliff never stayed there. Hope this helps

Living in and previously traveling to MB when we lived in Raliegh with at least a couple stays per year even now, we would rank them as follows:

1 pirate land ocean front

2 mb travel park ( north mb) ocean front

3. Ocean lakes ocean front

4. Koa

5. Lakewood ocean front

6 MB state Park

7 Huntington beach state park

8 Apache ocean front

Can't comment on on briarcliff never stayed there. Hope this helps

Great information. Pirate land...how about a holiday, still recomend?

All spring summer holidays are tough in MB but definately stay away from here Memorial Day Weekend. Last year 3 shootings. June till Sep very busy lots of traffic, best time to come is day after Labor Day.

All spring summer holidays are tough in MB but definately stay away from here Memorial Day Weekend. Last year 3 shootings. June till Sep very busy lots of traffic, best time to come is day after Labor Day.

Thank you for the recommendation.

We have a Bluebird rally at Ocean Lakes in April. It is wonderful. In the summer not so much ! Wall to wall people and after 5 p.m. you can't go anywhere in the campground by car. It is bumper to bumper golf carts on any given road until 11:00 curfew It is quite the spectacle if you want free entertainment.

Unfortunately golf cart mania is a hazard at the beach front private campgrounds, not a problem at the state parks,they have the never ending humongous family reunions. Should note that while the state parks are ocean front the camping areas are back off in the wooded areas. Huntington beach has much to offer including alligators, Atalaya the huntington mansion and Brookgreen Gardens world renound Anna Hyatt Huntingtons scupture collection, a farm and more gators.

We usually avoid state parks due to lack of hookups, I see these do have full hookups which up in the North East that is hard if not impossible to find.

And of course the events at private campgrounds keep the kids occupied is always welcome.

Mike, Good suggestion, however the web site is http://www.rvparkreviews.com/. and is a great place to check out Parks and Resorts. Be sure to check for the latest review date. There might be some very old reviews that are really bad and others that are really nice but may have changed. But it is a great place to start.

Herman

Don't ever go to Ocean Lakes at Spring Break. It is all tiny bikinis and wall to wall golf carts. You are parked so close that you had better befriend your neighbor because you'll likely be sharing you meals with them.

Mary Ann & Al Miller

07 Monaco Signature 45'

alspshr

toad 08 Saturn

impshn2

Peachtree City, GA

We usually avoid state parks due to lack of hookups, I see these do have full hookups which up in the North East that is hard if not impossible to find.

And of course the events at private campgrounds keep the kids occupied is always welcome.

There are very limited number of FHU sites at Huntington Beach SP. Maybe only 10 out of the 120+ sites in the park. However you may luck up and find one available...like I did for a few days at the end of April. :>)

And it depends on what you mean by events.. Huntington has an outstanding ranger program, that may still include a Ghost Tour of the Atalaya at night. My son was not really a beach lover but he went to all the ranger talks during the day!

We just got back from 3 days at Huntington Beach SP. Had a great time as usual. Since it was short notice we had to change sites one day to stay. Saw the gators, rode bikes over to Murrells Inlet for some fresh oysters at lunch. The bike paths have been improved so you can ride from the park to Murrells inlet, and down to Lichfield Beach (i was told but we didnt go that way.) There's plenty to do in the park. Take kayaks if you have them too!

We always stay outside the strand area and are currently setting at Willow Tree Campground in Longs Sc. Close enough to the beach and shows and golf yet far enough away for peaceful evening. Beautiful park large sites and friendly staff.

Pirateland and Lakewood are our choices. We have been in spring before summer crowds. Lot to do for kids. Both have add new pool areas, that opened in spring of 2014. Spots are tight, and golf carts are plentiful, but they have for rent so you can get in on action, too.

Have fun!

We found Pirate Land very tight to maneuver our 40 ft MH.  Lakewood lots are not paved and rather dirty/dusty and sites are all back in.  Gates close and lock @ midnight and require you to leave your toad outside the gate and walk in to your site.  (At least it was like that several years ago when we stayed there.)  Ocean Lakes is our choice in the 4000 area.  Quieter than ocean front, concrete pads, and pull thru sites.  Ocean front is party central until 11 PM.  

16 hours ago, sftrbt said:

We found Pirate Land very tight to maneuver our 40 ft MH.  Lakewood lots are not paved and rather dirty/dusty and sites are all back in.  Gates close and lock @ midnight and require you to leave your toad outside the gate and walk in to your site.  (At least it was like that several years ago when we stayed there.)  Ocean Lakes is our choice in the 4000 area.  Quieter than ocean front, concrete pads, and pull thru sites.  Ocean front is party central until 11 PM.  

Never been to Ocean Lakes or Pirate Land. We stayed at Lakewood, never again! The drunken golf cart races through campsites (attended campsites) across peoples patio mats was enough for us (right in front of security, they did nothing about it) :angry:. That place left such a bad taste for us I am not sure if I would ever go back to MB.

Yes the sites were dirt and sand with grass.

What's wrong with "tiny bikinis"?

KOA is tight for anything over 37' to drive thru.  Site was nice, but now with a 45', I would not try it.  Agree with ObedB !