Sign in to follow this  
eagle43

Various Assist Programs

I was wondering, since we're new at this, which roadside assistance program most members prefer. Also if anyone has had experience with the FMCAssist or Good Sam's Roadside assistance program. Since the FMCA program comes as part of our membership, I would guess most use this on instead of signing up for the Good Sam program.

Lastly there are various insurance offerings outside of the traditional insurance companies..

Any insight or recommendation would be helpful. It gets pretty crazy trying to decide when there are so many emails and such offering these programs.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Bill

Bill,

Welcome to the FMCA forum.

First note that the FMCAssist program is not a roadside assistance program. It is an emergency evacuation/vehicle return program and is an included benefit.

The FMCA Road Assist program is an additional cost option. I have the Good Sam Roadside Assistance program but have never had to use it so I can't really comment on the quality of service. I had Coach-Net prior to that but never had to use it.

There have been many discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of various assistance programs and a lot seems to depend on where you are when you need service and the representative you happen to get on the phone.

Maybe someone with experience with the service of various programs will jump in here.

On the subject of insurance:

I had Progressive insurance but dropped them because of an outrageous price increase with no claims. I have talked to others who had the same problem with them. I now have National General through Good Sam. I ended up with better coverage for less money than Progressive. Again, there are many good companies out there - you just have to shop around and get what fits you.

You can do a search on this forum for insurance and for roadside assistance to find several discussions.

Well said Leary.

Bill Roadside Assistance Programs all have their good points and their not so good points. You have FMCA Road Assist, Coach Net, Good Sam's, AAA, and so on. Probably each can not cover every where. They can all provide you with assistance but sometimes it may take hours for the closest provider to get to you. I have Coach Net and have only used them a couple of times. One was for Tech Support and another was for a flat. For the flat, their service was too far away and I called someone close that can out and I sent the Bill to Coach Net and they covered to cost. I have even thought of having more then one service so I may have needed service close by, by one or the other.

We had GMAC for a number of years but were able to cut our cost by half by shopping around. Nothing bad to say about GMAC they were always very fair to us. We are now with Safeco, so far no issues.

Again as Leary said, Welcome to the Forum

Just want to thank those who responded to my post. I will keep what I have now and just wait and see what happens if I need that type of service.

Again, thanks Leary and Herman.

Hi Bill

I use CoachNet as my roadside assistance program and am insured via Good Sam with National General. I haven't had to rely on either service (knock on wood) so I can't really comment on either. I did have Good Sam Roadside assistance many years ago when I had a trailer and they provided good service the few times I need their help.

Bill - might be worth a check for Allstate Motor Club. You do not have to carry Allstate Insurance and its $100 annually. You also get a free annual KOA membership. They cover any vehicle you are with -i.e. it doesn't have to be your own personal vehicle. I have used them once for a car and 2x for my MH. First MH experience, my coach would not "air up". A large tow truck arrived and the driver was a mechanic also. He gave me a temporary fix - (bypassed the controller) and got me under way. Last August we went on a month long trip to Glacier NP from NY and when returning, we were 15 miles from home when a component on the fuel injector system vibrated loose and broke. We were on a toll road and they sent a tow truck that towed me right to my service garage. Bottom line is - for me -they never questioned any bill - they just issued a check. My experience has been all positive with them.