tmcorazzo

Replacing A Microwave /Convection Oven

Looking for help. I have a 2004 Monaco Signature and my microwave / convection oven needs to be replaced.

I was quoted an outlandish price of $963 for the replacement and 2 hours of labor.

Has anyone replaced theirs? Is it a job that a DIYer could do?

Do I have to worry about the new replacement ovens load on the system that is 11 years old?

To me it should be just an unscrew, slide out or off supports and unplug with installation in reverse order. What am I missing?

Thanks, Tom

Welcome to the forum.

There should be no more load with the new unit than there was with the old one.

I have done it on my Bounder it wasn't that big of a job. I think it cost about $ 435.00. Hear is a copy of a thread I posted before. I found the original install sheet in my paperwork and it was helpful to see how it was installed.

I had the same problem I couldn’t get anyone to work on it and the only shop that would stated it would cost “at least $350.00 to get a 10 year old unit fixed.

You may be as lucky as I was and find a direct replacement. When you take the old one out measure it so you can check and see if the new one will fit. I bought mine from Home Depo and it was cheaper than buying it in the store and free delivery.

ON taking the trim off the top My RV had a trim piece that just snapped in place. I just started prying on it gently and it came off to expose the 2 screws in the top. I did have a little trouble, as when I had the screws out the unit wouldn’t rotate down like the original install instructions showed. I had to get an inspection mirror and look behind the unit. They had run large beads of Silicone adhesive down the back and along the bottom ledge it hooks into. I think this was done to reduce vibration. I placed a couple of pads (like seat cushion) on the range cover to protect it in case the unit came down to hard. I am glad I did. When I broke the silicone loose it did come down as advertised. I don’t think you need to take the bottom cover off to remove it but your unit may be different.

You should look at and read the instructions before you start. I know I know but you might save a little time and effort. I got lucky as I found the original install instructions in my package of paperwork that came with my RV. That helped to understand how to remove the old one.

Like I said read your install instructions for the type of install you will be doing. They had different instructions for/ depending on which way it was vented. I had to reposition the blower fans in the top/back of the microwave so it would blow out the top front. It came set up for an outside vent. If I hadn’t caught that I would have had to take it out and reposition the fan.

I saved and re used the screws that screw in from the top as the ones in the kit were too long. If the screws are to long they can damage your new oven.

The basic install went pretty quick. I was lucky as the new oven was exactly like the 10 year old one that we replaced. We installed it once without installing the screws in the top to see if we had clearance and everything worked as to fit. Then we set it down and applied

2 large beads of RTV on the back mounting plate, you have to make them big enough to make good contact and flatten out about an inch when you get the oven in place. I also put a smaller bead on the two places that the oven hooked on to on the bottom of the mounting plat. The idea is to prevent the oven from moving and reduce vibration.

Tightened up the screws plugged it in and replaced the upper trim piece and gave it a trial run.

Bill

One word of caution. there are two types of Microwave units, one for the counter and another for mounting in a cabinet. From what I understand it has to do with air circulation around the unit. Please advise if you know something different.

Herman

I was lucky and found a direct replacement by Googling the part number. My microwave / convection oven hangs under the cabinet. I haven't heard of a different model for shelf or mounting in a cabinet. There was room around my microwave / convection oven for air flow. It gets pretty hot when using it as a convection oven but never had a problem. The only thing to be cautious of is to have the exhaust fans set up correctly when you install it. The install paperwork will walk you through that step.

Bill

Has anyone had trouble using your microwave/convection oven on inverter. Sometimes ours had funny sound. In any event, after 10 years, ours bit the dust. I replaced with the model recommended by Fleetwood and GE. New one has worked sporadically for three weeks. Very disappointed.

Microwaves and inverters don't always get along. Microwaves pull quite a bit more watts than the cooking rating - ie. 800 watt MW might pull 1300 watts when running. Your inverter needs to be able to supply this power, which also means you need the battery capacity necessary to supply the inverter.

Do yourself a favor and read the instructions for installation, as Herman stated there is a difference, I learned that the hard way.

Our Microwave (it was only a microwave) in our last coach failed on a trip a few years ago, I called our dealer, they told me to go and buy a microwave, they are all the same as long as it fits in the hole. So we stopped at a Target and purchased one that looked like a match in color and fit nice. Maybe 12-15 times we used it I started to smell burning electrical and the unit stopped cooking but the light stayed on and the plate was still rotating.

I pulled the manual out (yea the one I had never read before) and it was designed for "countertop use only". The box on the wall didn't allow enough air around the unit for cooling and it cooked itself.

We have a 2004 Monaco LaPalma. The original microwave/convection (under the cabinet) oven needed the control panel replaced. Again it failed. We purchased the exact model and installed it ourselves. Please note, the bracket holding it from the top appeared to be going through the control panel. We opted not to use it. My husband made brackets to support it while we are traveling. The unit is extremely heavy & we decided we wouldn't uninstall/install it again.

Our 2005 Sharp Carousel Microwave stopped it was 850 watt. 

Do I need to replace it with an 850 watt or could I go up to 950.

We have A 2006 Monaco Knight 40' and it was a 2005 Sharp convection microwave.

I cannot find any 850 watt I or/conventions in stock anywhere or the right size for our space.

rknight,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Unless wires from main 120 VAC breaker box are the limiting factor (unlikely) you should be fine.

On high it will only draw approximately 1 amp more @120 VAC than the old one (8 vs 7).