john_harris

30 Amp vs 50 Amp Service

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I did not want to high jack a previous thread on 30 amp plug. I will be changing storage facilities and have the opportunity to put in the electrical service I want for the motorhome which has 50 amp. Present facility has only 20 amp service and that has worked reasonably well as I only run the refrigerator and the battery tender for the chassis batteries, (OK occasionally the TV). Will definitely be putting in at least a 30 amp service so I could perhaps run one AC for cool down while loading or for maintenance. Don't really see using both AC units or microwave a this is only a storage facility. If cost is not an issue, and I don't know what the difference might be, is there any downside of upgrading to 50 amp service? I don't want to over do it but don't want to be miss an opportunity happier in the long run.

If it were me I would go with the 50 amp service. The cost would be greater but not that much. It would be a direct plug in without an adapter. Any future power requirement would be met.

post-39881-0-29181900-1425643695_thumb.jJohn_Harris, I just had a 50 amp installed at our house where our coach parks. I asked the same question to the electrician, he told me the only additional cost would be the price difference in the wire and a small price increase in the box. I think it totaled up to be an additional $60.00, but now when we are loading the coach to go away I can run the A/C and be comfortable.

just in case you are looking for a box I bought this one from Home Depot on line

Connecticut Electric

Model # CESMPSC55GRHR Internet # 100669936

I am in the more is better camp. You will smile the first time you are loading the coach when it is hot and you can run both air conditioners to keep it cool.

The box posted above looks good the extra 15-20 amp outlet can come in handy.

Bill

Indeed, I only have a single 50 amp outlet and will likely upgrade that box to include the 20 amp outlet and breakers.

John, Your situation is akin to selling a car. You too price it high and you can always come down. Price it too low and you can't go up. If your storage unit has enough space and available amperage for a 50 amp breaker go for it. For 30 amp you run 3 wires, for 50 you run 4 plus a different receptacle.

Go for the GUSTO. :P

(If you do go 50 and leave your coach plugged in find a way to lock your cord. If it is stolen then you would have a $$ loss.)

Herman

John, you can get a box that has the door for a lock and they are also water proof. At my house, all outside boxes are water proof and lockable. My RV is kept in a garage at a storage facility, so I only have a door to lock but I do have elect., connections inside.

Good Luck!

If anything, the 50A supply is less susceptible to common power problems than the 30A. It has more power available, so less chance of a voltage sag, and a blip in the 240v source tends to get evened out when reduced to 120v at the RV. Spikes induced by lightning or other external causes are about the same risk, though.

Not hijacking John's thread, but pertaining to amps in the coach, we currently have a 30 amp coach. Is it possible to upgrade the coach to 50 amp? This would sure help and I wouldn't have to keep turning off the A/C when using another appliance, like my hair dryer. We only have the one A/C but the coach is wired to add another one and has the control in the bedroom.

Not hijacking John's thread, but pertaining to amps in the coach, we currently have a 30 amp coach. Is it possible to upgrade the coach to 50 amp?

Can it be done, SURE. But, you will be replacing:

Shore power cord

ATS

Wiring from ATS to 120 VAC breaker box

120 VAC breaker box

Can it be done, SURE. But, you will be replacing:

Shore power cord

ATS

Wiring from ATS to 120 VAC breaker box

120 VAC breaker box

Am I'm assuming those things are very expensive to upgrade?

Quite of a lot of the answer depend on whether you are qualified to do the work-- we are taking about 240 VAC.

If you install the second air conditioner, you may find it to be a lot less expensive to wire a separate 20 amp cord with a protection breaker to just handle the air conditioner when you need it. A lot depends on if you are able to access just the one circuit to the second air conditioner in you coach..