loriscribe

Headlight Truck Code

I just got back home from a snowbirding trip. On the way I like to use what I read about in an old issue of the FMCA magazine as the headlight codes used by truck drivers to signal clearance to a passing truck, trouble up ahead, etc. On long trips it's helpful and just plain fun to use them but, after not having used them on a long trip for several months, many were just pfsssst -- unaccessible. The article in the FMCA magazine was very thorough, but I'm sure I read it at least four years ago and don't know how to find it again.

Can anyone give me a quick review of the "codes" or the month and year of the original article in FMCA (I keep all issues)?

Lori

When a Truck passes you, are you supposed to turn on your high beams or just flash when it is safe for the trucker to pull back in your lane?

As a courtesy, yes.

As Brett said "As a courtesy, Yes." I have always done so and will continue to do so. However I have noticed that fewer and fewer Trucker adhere to the same courtesy. They used to be known as "The Knights of the Road", now just Truckers.

Herman

That don't stop some truckers from trying to swap you off the road with their trailer. I was on I-210 5 miles from I-5 in southern cal when a ABF double did that to me. First he pass me on the right in a lane he was supposed to exit, he was going about 10 mph over the speed limit and I didn't signal that it was clear. I also had a car to the left of me so I couldn't change lanes. When I blew the horn to let him know he wasn't clear he responded with the finger. I had to hit the brakes and change lanes when the car passed to get away from that crazy driver. I posted the dash camera video on your tube and shared it to the company safety e-mail as well as sent the pictures my wife took of the driver, license plate and number off the truck and trailers.

Ray, I hope you get a response and if you do please share.

I think we all have had our close run ins, but I still find it about 70% of truckers are courteous. I run with my head and fog lights on, I have a light dimmer switch on my steering wheel and use it most of the time when trucks pass me. Also use my safety blinkers when a truck lets me know I can come back in after passing. I mostly use my rear camera and know when I'm clear, but I still acknowledge.

There are some drivers out there, that I have no clue how they got a license....most trucks that I have had a problem with is FedEx and NAFTA!

The email from the safety department was they was going to forward it to his manager. The manager was supposed to send me the address where I can send the videos to as large files of 290 MB each. When I did't hear back in a week I posted them on you tube and sent the safety department the link. Haven't heard back from from that either. Not to hijack this thread I post link to video in new thread.

Perhaps it's my old age, but I get more and more "Salutes" now, than I did 10 years ago. I do not respond at all. Have no clue what their days like, PMS, or a gun in vehicle....seems there is a lot of "road rage" out there!

I got a video camera on order for my dash. :wub:

Carl