huffypuff

Mad Truck Driver, What Do You Think?

I was on I-210 5 miles from I-5 in southern cal when a ABF double swapped the rear of his trailer across my front in near collision. I had my cruise control set on 60 MPH and had no problem with being passed as many other vehicles did so. First he pass me on the right in a lane he was supposed to exit, he was going about 10 mph over the speed limit and I didn't signal that it was clear. I also had a car to the left of me so I couldn't change lanes. When I blew the horn to let him know he wasn't clear he responded with the finger. I had to hit the brakes and change lanes when the car passed to get away from that crazy driver. One friend told me that some truck drivers don't like mom and pop driving slow in their motorhome.

To save time on 5 minutes video the truck appears at 2:50 minutes.

I drove trucks for thirty years and this should never had happened I hope you called his company and follow up with it. He shouldn't be on the road !!

I agree, I would call their safety department and forward the video to them. Thats Nuts!

Puff, what dash cam do you have, my wife wants one to capture the scenery when we travel.

Joe

I did turn the videos as well as pictures wife took to identify driver and tractor he was driving into their safety department. They are supposed to send to his manager but I haven't heard of any results. Joe I got a dash cam from this outfit two years ago and spent the money for the best one. I'm glad I did as I saved a few videos of different events. http://www.zetronix.com/Car-Cameras/c59/index.html

I hate to be the negative one here but I think I would have gladly slowed down and let him come over when I saw (1) his blinker on and (2) the lane ending ahead. Common courtesy in my mind.

He was bigger than you and would have won the match if you had connected. Often safer to just let them have the lane.

Lenp

Yes Lenp there should be 2 points of view.

1st I'm not you so my cruise control is still on while he appeared to be passing just fine. 2nd When I saw his blinker light on his first trailer he was already poising my lane as I checked my mirror to see if I could get over. I couldn't get over and not quick enough for that truck driver as he drove into my lane. 3rd I had no way to know his lane was ending as his truck blocked that fact to me until after he did his deed.

Stop the video at 4:00 and you will see plenty of lane if front of him and another to his right. At 4:11 the lane to the right of him exit but the lane in front of him is clear and open. At 4:20 he crosses into my lane and the lane in front of him is still clear. At 4:27 if you look to the right of his trailer the lane is still there. At 4:32 there isn't a clue to me that his lane is ending until then when I see a arrow on the road in the video. I was to busy braking and looking to change lane to notice at that time.

4th He is bigger than me? Are you kidding me? Just because he is bigger does it gives him the right to swat his trailer at me and be a big bully to other vehicles smaller than him? I can tell you that he also cut off another car and that car had to hit the brakes a little later up the road. That was within minutes after cutting me off. Do you really want that driver on the road? I don't know what you mean by "would have won the match" but it could of been a mess and nobody would of won anything. You may not know this but cutting someone off and causing an accident is against the law and he would of been charged with the accident.

Last About common courtesy is it OK to flip off a couple of senior citizen in their motor coach because they refused to be bullied?

Thank you for your opinion.

Ray, thank you for the link, glad to see you and your wife were able to avoid a rogue truck driver and escape personal injury or property damage. They are supposed to be "professional" obviously he falls short in that department.

I stepped up and ordered this camera for my wife as a suprise (shes a camera/photo enthusiast). She has mentioned purchasing one for a while now and I was skeptical of the different brands and quality, not knowing anyone who owned one until now made me hold off.

Thank you

Joe

Joe you are welcome, the cameras on that site are better than the one I'm using that I got 2 years ago. There are so many more features and they are up to 2K resolution as compare to my 1080. I'm thinking about getting another one just to use in the car and leave that on in the coach.

Ray,

Good job avoiding an accident. Your video is proof that one must be constantly aware of what the traffic is doing around us. I know that trucks can be bullies and no one wants to "connect with one on the road.

I see a video camera in my future!!

Jack I only had my camera for two years and one other close call. That was a lady in a small car that cut into my lane and stopped on interstate 405. I think the only way I stopped in time is that the coach have ABS and it did a good job. I was a mess for a few days thinking of what could of happen if I couldn't get it stopped in time but glad at same time I had a dash camera.

I keep thinking that many times, drivers are multitasking and forget they are in a moving office.

Had an incident just a few months ago in the area where one patrol car ran a red light and hit another patrol car. Really messed both of them up.

Turned out the one officer was reading the location of a brake in on the computer screen. They realty do not multitask any better then anybody else.

Had a USPS truck try to take the front off the coach on Rt.71 about 2 years ago. Had the curb side open to run to, brakes and brown pants.

Took a little pit stop at the next rest area.

An I now travel with a dash cam !

Rich.

I have taken some single pictures off the SDcard of some very nice pictures.

Ray,

Thanks for the video. Close call.

On my recent trip had a flat bed pass me on the left and I exclamied "Explitive deleted" because he came about 3 inches or so of sideswiping me. Unfortuantely the GoPro doesn't pick up to the side.

Rich multitasking has been a problem for 20 years or more when cell phones became popular. I can't wait till the self driving car as it will bound evolve to the trucks later. Then I can hop in my magnetic car and tell it where to take me and watch a movie. No more crashes until someone hacks the grid. Oops did I say that.

Wayne at least the dash camera will show you at steady speed in the center of your lane. Then when the flatbed sideswipe you as it pass on the left there will be no doubt who is at fault.

I have everything on my 2013 Lincoln except the lane radar. Adaptive cruise control, adaptive lights, crash avoidance, automatic windshield wipers.

Those self drive cars are only a year or two away.

There is a company now called "Cruise" that is well on the way.

http://www.getcruise.com/

Wayne,

The real issue I have about all the new safety system being added to the vehicles is---There is nothing built that is ever going to be problem free !!!! And people get very dependent on them working.

Worked for over 50 years in the Electronics field and standard purchased items do not come with redundant circuits and if the vehicle starts everything is fine and if a light comes on we tend to say to ourselves - I will get it fixed later !

Rich.

Rich,

I whole heartedly agree with you. I have dealt with technology since around 1960 and the ever changing aspects of it. When I'm driving the Lincoln MKX I use the technology but I'm ever vigilant regarding the automatic stuff, like always ready to depress the brake knowing that the adaptive cruise could fail, or the precharge of the brakes when the collision avoidance goes of, or doesn't go off.

The big test is when I get into another vehcile that doesn't have those capabilities, like the MH. Then I'm entirely on my own and remembering that there are not automatic switches is a constant vigil.

So far, so good.

Rich & Wayne,

We have the advantage of having learned to drive when you were taught how to drive a vehicle and not to wait for another command to tell us what to do. There are no devices attached to any vehicle that can in the blink of an eye tell you what to do in case of a blow out or what to do when you hit the brakes and there are none.

Thank you Coach Johnson for teaching me how to drive a standard shift, no power steering or brakes 1951 Chevrolet 4 door sedan.

Very ole,

Herman

Yes the technology for self driving cars will take awhile to get use to. Right now states one by one is writing bills for self driving cars in their states. When in full swing these cars are supposed to go faster and cut congestion and save fuel. Cars can be small without worry for injury as they are not supposed to crash. If so the liability will rest on the manually operated cars. Yikes! The magnetic car has no wheels or tires on it. Welcome as we go into the first step into the Jetson age or is it already here?

For those who wants a feedback this is what I have so far. ABF safety department have identified the driver and forward the complaint to his manager. When he gets to his depot he will be talked to and shown the video so he can't denied it happen. What happens after that is not clear but he will have to sit a few hours of training videos to show what could of happen.

After much heated debate on another forum there was a comment from someone that lived in the area. He said that no trucks should ever be in the far right lane unless they were going to exit. That lane is for off and on ramps only. There's a difference of lane markings in CA as compared to WA where I live. In Washington the stripped lines would of got closer together and got solid between his rig and mine and he wouldn't be allowed move left but had to exit instead. I knew the lane I belonged in because my GPS has directed me to stay in the left three lanes and even shown me a picture of the signs miles before I got to them. It appears to me that all of the other trucks knew this except this one.

When I talked to one person at ABF safety department she told me that their drivers are not allowed to use GPS or electronic devices. I was confounded by that statement but held my opinion and remained calm about it. I can understand not allowing radar detectors, cell phones turned on or other distraction devices but not a GPS. I find GPS to be more easy to follow and maps don't come with features like what lanes to be in. Furthermore there are big rig GPS that has features that big rigs needs such as bridge clearance and streets and highways that should be avoided by big rigs. The GPS would of directed him to be in the next lane to the left much as I knew because all through traffic was the three left lanes. I also blame the safety department for not allowing GPS because it is safer than following a map or memory. Maybe that truck driver didn't know his lane ended until he was beside me. I didn't have his view so i will never know.

Ray, thank you for the update, and I agree, no GPS, I can understand cell phones etc, we do not allow any cell phone activity in the company i work for, hands free or otherwise in the trucks or company cars, our safety department does not want any controllable distractions, our in cab satalite communication system has GPS built in and it is locked while the tractor is in motion and the map directions are down loaded when they are dispatched in the AM, no driver interaction unless there is a problem and the Vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake applied to access, the driver can only view the map on the screen while in motion.

I received my camera yesterday, my wife was excited, I would not be suprised if it is installed by the time I get home from work. we were both very suprised how small the camera was, I bought the newest version that you have. Hopefully it is only used to capture scenery. :)

Last I knew the law in my state says no passing on the right unless there is an empty lane between you and the vehicle you are passing. I've never seen this obeyed or enforced. But that's what I learned over 30 years ago when training for CDL.

ABF is a Teamster carrier. Likely nothing will be done. He will eventually get his due. Just hope that he doesn't hurt anyone in the process.