huffypuff

Mad Truck Driver, What Do You Think?

As a follow up/ I never liked a fellow trucker coming back into the lane right after clearing my tractor on multi lane highways. When they did it to me if the lane next me was clear and traffic was light I jumped over there. Hopefully I sent a message. Never said anything on the CB. It is unnecessary on 4 lanes or more highways and it forced me into a tailgating position. The tradition started many years ago when trucks were really underpowered and the Interstate system did not exist. When someone was having a hard time getting around me I let off of the fuel or knocked the cruise off in later years. I have pulled doubles in my career, and I never felt the need to do what happened to Ray or anybody else. The driver turnover rate in the industry is very high and while I am not excusing it, I think that carriers sometimes just want a fanny for the seat. The union carriers usually don't have high turnover except at the margins, but I have seen the big boys advertise for drivers. They once had them standing in line for a job. The standards have been lowered by many. I have seen job postings requiring only six months experience. Many guys my age did it because we loved it. To many, now it is just a job.

I thought about getting a CB to communicate with truckers but I think that will be just adding fuel to the fire and another distraction.

Ray, I agree with the CB, our coach has a Cobra, the one with all of the controls built into the Mic. I have only turned it on once just for kicks, it got annoying really fast and I shut it off. FYI the wife loves that dash cam, good info you provided on that, thanks again.

Almost took out a Honda Civic a few weeks back and the camera would have been my witness. I was quite impressed how well the coach came to a screeching stop with Fire Apparatus brakes on it.

Most old timers like me call channel 19 Sesame Street. I have had a CB since 1977 and seldom use it. They do come in handy at times though. Just gotta sound like a trucker when you use it/ helps to keep the morons in the group off of your back.

Most old timers like me call channel 19 Sesame Street. I have had a CB since 1977 and seldom use it. They do come in handy at times though. Just gotta sound like a trucker when you use it/ helps to keep the morons in the group off of your back.

:) I am still laughing at this comment.

We know what happened: he couldn't really accelerate because of traffic ahead, grew impatient that you didn't alter your speed to accommodate him. You are NOT required to brake to let him him, and he caused a dangerous situation.

I'm glad you contacted ABF and provided the film. Whether or not this guy is penalized, he now understands that people are watching, and will not tolerate such dangerous behavior.

Trucks are limited to the right two lanes. Slower traffic must keep right and allow passing. The motorhome stayed to the left and did not allow the faster truck to pass on the left. The dangerous behavior was the motorhome not yielding to the truck.

Trucks are limited to the right two lanes. Slower traffic must keep right and allow passing. The motorhome stayed to the left and did not allow the faster truck to pass on the left. The dangerous behavior was the motorhome not yielding to the truck.

MacGyver, I was in the right lane for THRU TRAFFIC if you will carefully watch the signs in the video. I knew that the left three lanes was for thru traffic well before the incident and all other trucks passed me on the left like they should. That truck was in the exit lane and made an illegal maneuver at the last minute as being in that lane means he suppose to exit. Even the trucking company safety department said he was in the wrong lane and not suppose to pass on the right. The last note is that all trucks three or more axles or pulling trailers is supposed to be going 55 MPH another wrongdoing on that drivers list of faults. He was passing fine as per video but he decided to take all of his short comings on another victim of his driving. In another video he also cut off a car that had to hit it's brakes as he changed lanes. I also turned that in to his safety department who stated that he will not continue to drive like that for our company.

Please show me a printed rule that I suppose to have yield to that truck while I was going a steady speed in the lane I was supposed to be in. Your comment leaves more questions than answers.

I forgot about the probationary status of employees that was negotiated many contracts back. Haven't been a Teamster since 1983. I do not remember the length of the probationary status. Maybe 30 days, maybe more. The employee can be discharged without cause during that period. If he is a new hire, he may be oughta there. If not, I remember the third chargeable accident within 2 years and you were gone. Serious with obvious driver negligence a different case. I guess I am just an old softie because when people do stupid stuff behind the wheel, especially if it could affect me, I tend to think what an a_ _ _ _ _ _ and try to help them grudgingly. He could have gotten off and figured out a way to get back on. Either way, the guy was a jerk.