HenderNels

Moab to Florida

Question

We are heading back to Florida from California but are going to take a detour through Utah to catch Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, and Arches national parks. The last two stops will involve overnights in Moab. From there we have to hoof it back east fairly efficiently since we have commitments at the other end. We will be in a motorhome, towing a car. Does anyone have a suggestion for a route. How are the state roads between Moab and Albuquerque, for example. Is i better to go over to Denver on I-70 and south from there? Open to ideas. Thanks,

Ann

3 answers to this question

Sounds like a great trip. We've covered this country several times, motorhome and toad. I have never traveled directly from Moab to Albuquerque so can't say how US 550 from Durango to Albuquerque would be. It looks like a pretty lonely road. I avoid I-70 into Denver because of the extreme elevation change from the pass into Denver. I would suggest heading south out of Moab, on US 191. Then take US 491 East toward Durango, Colorado. There you will pick up US 160 which will take you across Colorado to I-25. Take I 25 South through the Raton Pass where you will pick up US 64 East. This takes you gradually from the elevation of the pass down to the western plains without the extremely long and steep descent into Denver on I-70 and it is a more direct route toward Florida. Once on US 64 you have choices. I would drop south toward Dalhart, TX and Amarillo, TX. Pick up I-40 in Amarillo and then take your pick of intersatate highways to your destination. The roads to I-25 and then from I-25 to Dalhart are two lane roads but generally in good condition. Depending on the timing of your trip you may experience delays for road work but that is the most direct and easiest route. You will travel a little slower but make up for that with the direct route and easier driving on less traveled highways.

I would recommend south out of Moab on US191 to US491 but stay on US491 to US64 at Shiprock, US64 to Bloomfield, then US550 to I25, then south to I40 at Albuquerque or just stay on US491 all the way to I40. I have been on most of this route and don't remember any issues.

Staying on US160 all the way from US491 to I25 will take you over Wolf Creek pass (10850') and on I25 over Raton pass (7834').