Sign in to follow this  
pacurran

Premier Car Tow Dolly RV Trailer

I haven't used one, but I recommend that anyone using a tow dolly, be sure that there is a braking system on the tow dolly, and I don't find any information indicating that this one can be bought with brakes. Adding brakes is pretty expensive, for this reason I recommend looking for one with factory installed braking.

Many states will not allow a tow vehicle without brakes, and adding braking to your towed car kindly defeats the purpose of a tow dolly.

Welcome to the forum, and happy motoring, Kay

Kay, having brakes on a tow vehicle is a smart thing and a requirement in most states. Folks will go for a dolly rather then a drive shaft disconnect on their two wheel drive, or a transmission pump or disconnects for their front wheel drive vehicles. Brakes on the tow vehicle would eliminate the need for a braking system on a dolly.

My thinking is I would rather have brakes on the last set of wheels on the ground :) rather then just on the dolly. :o

Any way we are getting away from the OP.

pacurran, Welcome to the Forum and you will get your answer soon.

Herman

Hi, Just got a tow dolly off ebay $995. Towblazer Inc. Put it together, went to aaa for a lic plate, put the s40 volvo on it and went from San diego over the Interstate 8 to PHX for the Good guy rally returned to San Diego on Interstate 10. I used my coach to pull it. Out and back no problems worked great. AS for brakes I have not added them yet.

We'll be picking up an Acme Tow Dolly in the next two weeks at the manufacturer in NC. It has surge type disc brakes, tongue weight of about 50 lbs, and weighs not much over 300. Will stand it on end in our home garage if need be. Towing a '14v Honda Accord. Used to tow '09 Honda CR-V four down with Roadmaster gear. Investigated other dolly mfgs. and this seemed to be best value for $$$$ spent. At $1500, also get spare wheel and tire. Put a hitch on the car to pick it up, and to use to move dolly when not enough room to store it with MH at campground. Would encourage anyone interested in Google their web site and talk with Jarad at Acme. We visited them last month (no hitch then) and were impressed with the small operation, friendly staff, pricing and the five year guarantee. I haven't any financial interest in the company, just think it a good buy and am looking forward to getting ours.

Doc Mike

Neenah, WI

We have a Tandem tow dolly which has tail lights and signals. So does my car have to have its lights working also or do I need the magnetic ones.

ultraglide,

Just me but I would want to have lights on the very end of my unit (tow vehicle). That way a person coming up from behind that may have tendency to tailgate will know where your rear end is.

If you have ever wired a trailer with lights you can wire your vehicle with diodes with no problem.

Lots of people use and like the magnetic lights however myself, I would not like running the chance of them coming off or scratching the vehicle.

Herman

We have a Tandem tow dolly which has tail lights and signals. So does my car have to have its lights working also or do I need the magnetic ones.

You do not need the extra lights. I used a dolly for couple of years no problem. The disclaimer is I have never driven after dark yet.

Bill

We'll be picking up an Acme Tow Dolly in the next two weeks at the manufacturer in NC. It has surge type disc brakes, tongue weight of about 50 lbs, and weighs not much over 300. Will stand it on end in our home garage if need be. Towing a '14v Honda Accord. Used to tow '09 Honda CR-V four down with Roadmaster gear. Investigated other dolly mfgs. and this seemed to be best value for $$$$ spent. At $1500, also get spare wheel and tire. Put a hitch on the car to pick it up, and to use to move dolly when not enough room to store it with MH at campground. Would encourage anyone interested in Google their web site and talk with Jarad at Acme. We visited them last month (no hitch then) and were impressed with the small operation, friendly staff, pricing and the five year guarantee. I haven't any financial interest in the company, just think it a good buy and am looking forward to getting ours.

Doc Mike

Neenah, WI

Doc, I have a Acme Tow Dolly and they do work well. Hear is a tip. When you are loading the car on the dolly leave about an 11/2 - 2 inch gap between the tires and the front bar. I know the instructions say to pull it up tight BUT I kept having a hard time getting the straps to stay tight. I diagnosed the problem down to the fact that the straps don't slide on the tires. If you leave a little gap and put the car in neutral when you are tightening the straps the tires can rotate forward and take all the slack out of the strap. After you have the straps tight put it back in park and set it up for tow. Using this method I never had a strap come loose.

Bill