Sign in to follow this  
JustCruzzin

Sumo Springs & Torsion Bar

Just bought a 2015 Tiffin Allegro (32sa) and saw there is an option for Sumo Springs read many reviews and it seems like a good
idea to have them installed before we take delivery but I have also been told because we opt for the 24000 lb chassis we don't need the springs. But I guess the torsion bar is a good idea.

Anyone else had them installed on their RV?

post-32416-0-19755800-1426207584_thumb.j

Why not drive the coach to see how it handles, then consider what you might need to correct anything in the ride you think needs addressed?

Torsion bar? Not familiar with that one for the F53 chassis.

Are you talking about a TRACK BAR or ANTI-SWAY BAR?

Your right I spoke before thinking "track bar"..

"Carlada"

We did drive it but not to the scenarios we will probably find while driving cross country

and about for the next 2 to 3 months.

Drive for a while first. Analyse the ride and drive. Then go for the appropriate mod/correction.

Thanks Gary and everyone else. I'll wait then.

Just to avoid any confusion, a "track bar" is not a torsion device or use torsion in any way. It is what is known as a panhard rod and prevents sideways motion in a spring suspension. The best known products froa Class A RV chassis are the Davis Tru-Track (now marketed by Roadmaster) and the Supersteer Track Bar. Both excellent products and highly recommended for a coach with a leaf spring suspension. However, at least some Ford F53 chassis now come with a track bar factory installed.

However, an Anti-sway (aka anti-roll) bar does use torsion to apply a corrective force to help reduce body lean. An antisway bar is standard on most motorhome chassis, but in some cases a stronger (higher torsion) bar can improve the handling.

Unless things have changed with new F53s, they come with front and rear "sway" bars and a front Trac bar....several companies make the rear trac bar and some folks have made their own. I installed a Blue Ox tiger trac on the F53 we owned, made a lot of difference with passing trucks...