getaway

Canada And The Firearms Issue

Don, Thank you for your blank check!

There has got to be a real good reason for the Geese to drive south in winter! ? Been there and it's more expensive across the board, than here, about 130% higher!

As a life member of NRA & Veteran, I feel the same!

Carl

Don,

Do you ever travel with your RV on military facilities? On 90% or more you cannot take a firearm. It is just not worth the hassle so I leave mine at home. Hopefully the 80 pound Husky will fend off intruders.

Don,

Do you ever travel with your RV on military facilities? On 90% or more you cannot take a firearm. It is just not worth the hassle so I leave mine at home. Hopefully the 80 pound Husky will fend off intruders.

Yes! Many bases allow RV folks to have their weapons with them even staying in the FAMCAMP--you just have to stop by the armory and provide a list (they actually have a form) of you weapons. You sign a statement concerning the base regulations, storage etc, and you provide a copy of the approved form to the FAMCAMP registration office. Some bases will allow you to store them at the armory as well. I do recommend you check with each base (or fort or station) prior to arrival just as you should check each States laws concerning firearms, concealed carry etc.

Thanks Don. For me it is just not worth the hassle. We also, sometimes, cross over into Canada going from Niagara to Michigan.

Seems like this fits here . A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it , you probably won't need one again.

Wayne.

I do carry a slingshot in my bay, along with a box off 3/8" SS ball bearings....small game hunting on some land I have in West Texas.

Carl

Well, the slingshot will get you some distance, but a handful of those same steel balls thrown like a baseball will repel most on-comers. Besides, I still have the 80 pound Husky. Hee hee.

You ever done a cost comparison? Who cost more per day, the Husky or the coach? :rolleyes:

Throw the bearings?...that's interesting! So, in the USMC, they teach you to remove the propellant from a bullet, so that you can throw a handful of lead at your enemies? :(:P

Actually, a hunting slingshot, in the confined space of a MH, will kill a human or totally incapacitate one, depending on the bearing used and ability of the shooter

ObedB is correct and I will add: If you have bullets, but no gun or gun with no bullets, bang, bang your dead!

Well, in my case the Coach. That's why we named it Citrus.

Naw! They taught us to shoot when the target was not near, but when near to sneak up and use quieter methods. Hey, if you have either without the other you can just throw it, or, stop, and say "Wait a minute and "watch this.""

Hello out there,

Just reading all these stories about guns. Come on guys grow up. Number one why do you think you need a gun.

Number 2, if i can't take a flipping apple across the border why the heck do you think you can cross with a gun?

If you are that scared then stay home and build a cement fort around yourself.

And if you get caught crossing with a firearm... then I hope they throw the book at you. LAWS ARE LAWS abide by them.

Wallee,

Please reread these posts. Only a few think they should be able to take an arsenal into Canada. The majority believe and have stated so, that they know the laws related to crossing the Border into either Canada or Mexico. So please look at the whole thread and not to just the few that disagree with the Laws of your wonderful country and ours.

Best wishes,

Herman

Wallee.

I'm surprised that you took most of our "joking around", seriously ! I know a lot of Canadians, and thin skin is not part of their persona. :P

As Herman said, we know and respect the laws of Canada, but this whole tread got started by some one who apparently didn't ! You need to lighten up some, if you know anything about folks from Texas, "scared" is not part of our vocabulary ! :angry:

Speaking about LAWS, why would anyone want to take an apple into the US? :rolleyes: Thank you for sending your Gees down once a year, they make a great stew ! :lol:

Carl

I am a full timer, my coach is my home. I have nothing against the Canadian people or the country as a whole. I disagree with their gun laws. My feeling is there should be a method US citizens could travel from the lower USA to Alaska and vice versa by declaring their weapons at each boarder crossing. They should be able to be transported as they can in the USA (unloaded, locked in cases and separate from ammunition).

Not to accuse anyone specifically, but I am sure there are those that would be quick to accuse this couple of "smuggling" that have also snuck food into theaters, or booze on airplanes etc. Of course they will say it is not the same as guns, but really, someone trying to cover a few hundred miles with their legally owned possession hidden in a closet to avoid shipping a FFA paperwork costs are called smugglers? Then all the above is smuggling...look it up.

You don't like guns, fine. Don't buy one. But I haven't seen any reports of a motorhome or 5th wheel rolling up in the 'hood, or to a school, or a movie theater and selling guns out the window or running around shooting up the place.

Some of us carry and use our guns like others--for recreation, sport, and competition.

I think some have missed my point. Respect the laws and you shouldn't have a problem. I respect Canada's laws and I really like their beautiful country, people and history. They smack you hard if you don't and my opinion is we would be better off in the good old USA if we did the same. And who said I did not have a gun or like guns? I respect the law abiding citizens who have/carry for what ever reason they choose. If you want Canada to change its laws, I would suggest you write to their legislators. I think the people of Canada are satisfied with their gun laws so good luck.

I have been boarded many more times coming home then going over BUT, I never felt like it was an inconvenience, just a health and or safety check. Thank you Canada, our greatest friend.

Don't let a few liberals north of the border color your perception. Not all Canadians are from Toronto or think like they do.

I agree with respecting their laws just as they should respect American laws when visiting the US. I also think they could accommodate travelers in transit to Alaska with simply tagging the locks on the firearms with a seal that is removed at the Alaska/Yukon border by a CBSA agent proving you didn't shoot up the countryside on the way. :)

Until our US Congress passes a reciprocity law, there are states where having a handgun accessible to a vehicle's driver and/or passengers can get you into as much trouble as trying to take firearms into Canada.  New York, New Jersey and California are among the states that come to mind.  Considering that RV owners who avoid confrontations and avoid camping in sketchy areas are rarely targeted for robberies and/or violence, it's probably prudent to have one's firearms securely locked in a storage unit as I have done.  That way, I don't need to worry about firearms issues while traveling into any state or Canada.   Having had my family and me threatened with automatic weapons by what appeared to be uniformed security forces in Mexico, I no longer travel there.  While traveling extensively in Canada on-and-off for nearly fifty years I've never been robbed or threatened with violence in that beautiful country.

Next trip to Alaska, I will take my 9mm and 3 empty 14 clips and sent it to a friend of Linda's via FedEx, she will do the same with her .357!  We will buy ammo in Alaska and leave ours at home.  It takes one page per gun and that's it.

Not rocket science, you can without any problems ship your guns all over this World...just a little common sense is needed.  If all you want to do is visit Canada, then pick a arrive back in USA point and ship your gun/clip no ammo to be picked up at UPS/FedEx/US Post Office.  Done that in 2014, entered Canada in BC and Exited from Lake Louise, into Montana!  FedEx with insurance was about $80.