bigred1cav

Ohio to Grand Canyon to Hoover Dam-- Stops Along The Way?

Question

We are going from Ohio to Grand Canyon to Hoover Dam would like to include 4 corners and maybe Salt Lake City.

Would like to drive about 350 miles per day.

Would like to stay in National Parks and COE's when possible.

We will go from Salt Lake to Cheyenne most likely. Would like your experiences and knowledge where we should not miss and the local eateries that are not tourist traps.

We are 35 ft long with toad behind gasser V10 Ford.

2 answers to this question

Ok, mapquest says to take the southern route through Oklahoma City and Albuquerque. I would suggest going a little further north through Kansas City and Denver via I-70. You will see some amazing scenery through the Colorado mountains. Glennwood canyon is not to be missed, and you will find lots of unusual shops and eateries along the way, especially in Georgetown, and many of the ski towns.

Once you get to Utah, you will have plenty of national parks to stay at such as Arches, Bryce, Zion, and Natural Bridges.

If you're going to hit Four Corners, try then to route yourself through Mexican Hat and up through Monument Valley. That will also take you to Arches.

Coming back from Salt Lake to Cheyenne, consider taking old US 30 east of Rawlins. It's a long stretch of the old Lincoln Highway (predates I-80) and takes you to Laramie via Medicine Bow.