deenad

2009 CC Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650

Bought it Feb 19th, went to the GS rally in Phoenix (actually Avondale). On the way back we got 40 miles from home the engine blew up. Estimate is right at $29,000 to fix and we only drove it 3,000 miles or so, as is sale and didn't have time to purchase a service contract. The engine ate the valves in #6, which took out 5 and 4. This is the second failure for this with this engine. Engine failed at 19,032 and was rebuilt under warranty. About 1,000 miles later the turbo went out again, and now the third engine failure at about 44,000 miles. Cummins admits there is a problem with the ISX 650's and the have new heads and valves in the supply line.

But, when it's running its a real rocket! Usualy don't have to use all the acceleration lane and overall average was 7.1 mpg including the Grapevine and Tehachapi passes plus sitting in a traffic jam for overn an hour, just barely moving.

post-3538-0-81204200-1426745854_thumb.jp

Ouch! That's a real bummer. Considering the history of your blown engine, I would talk to Cummins about replacing it with a 600,,,,$29K is a lot off money to put out on something that may happen again!

Good luck. <_<

Deen,

Is there a possibility the previous owner may have put in one of those power chips? And as Carl said if I was going to put out $29K to repair, I would go for a completely new engine. At least then you would have the warranty of a new engine, which I believe is 5yaer of 50,000 miles (which ever come first).

Herman

Ouch! That's a real bummer. Considering the history of your blown engine, I would talk to Cummins about replacing it with a 600,,,,$29K is a lot off money to put out on something that may happen again!

Good luck. <_<

Isn't the 650 the same as the 600 but larger injectors and an ECM adjustment?

Question, Who rebuilt the engine the first time? Did it come with some kind of warranty?

Do you have a Cummins Power Club Membership? It could save you 10%. Think it would be worth the $20.00 for a membership.

Rich.

It was rebuilt at a Cummins dealer, came with the, not friendly for RV'ers, standard Cummins truck warranty of 1 yr or 100,000 miles. They really need to go to a 4 or 5 yr, 50,000 mile warranty on the rebuild since the failure came at 4 yrs and 25,000 miles. They found that it needs new liners in 4, 5, & 6, new head, new valves, new turbo and cleaning out everything as metal pieces passed through. They also found water stains in #4, possibly from the previous repair.

Cummins did decide to kick in $10,000 or so. Went to our broker today to close out an IRA to pay for the remaining $19,000. And yes, I did join the Power Club, the $19,000 includes the discount.

Cummins admits that there is a problem with this engine at the 650 rating and opened a study on it. The "fix" is a new head and valves. Still don't understand why they won't stand behind a known problem engine though. Sure has ruined the good feelings I had about Cummins. Our previous Dutch Star had the ISC 350 with a Banks on it and I never had a bit of trouble with anything engine related.

Anyway, Cummins NW was supposed to start on it today, depending on parts availability. Sure has thrown a wrench into everything too! Need to do a brake job on the Civic and guess where my tools are? Need to fix a faucet in the stick house and guess where the tools are?

Waiting for the speeding ticket I picked up just before I got to the OR border. Just wasn't used to the "feel" of it and let the speed going down a hill get too high. First ticket in about 25 years!!

deen. Get an Atty. on this now! It should be Cummins problem, not yours!! They know it, otherwise they would not offer $ 10K, sucker! :angry:

deen. Get an Atty. on this now! It should be Cummins problem, not yours!! They know it, otherwise they would not offer $ 10K, sucker! :angry:

Agreed! Cummins, Cummins dealer, selling dealer and coach manufacture would all be called onto the carpet, let the judge sort out who is going to make this right again.

Cummins called today, said it wouldn't be ready on Friday the 10th as they needed to run it on the dyno and no one was available to do it till Monday. They also found a cracked DPF and that's going to add over $2,000. I need to find the Federal MH warranty info as I think that's covered for 8 years but not totally sure on a motorhome.

My 2 cents. I think that I remember reading the 650 was a modification of an existing truck model for RV use. A fifteen litre diesel pushing a big RV down the highway is light duty compared to an 80,000 lb tractor trailer, but Cumapart once had the reputation amongst truckers of experimenting with the consumer's money. Now that goes back some time. I do remember some fellow owner operators getting into a horsepower contest. Often with disastrous results. Sure hope the techs that worked on Deen's engine were on the first string, and the dealer offers a reasonable warranty.

Talking to several people who have had same problem or know of someone...the more people that spread the word the better.. Cummins knows of the problem and it appears to be 2009 is the worst... Bad head design..I just had my Monaco Exec isx 650 break a valve in #6 ....having a complete recon motor put in... Total bill will be over $50,000.00...I am NOT done with Cummins...

I own a trucking company and am spreading the word to some big operators ...let me know if anyone has had any luck with Cummins.. Mine had 15000 miles but was out of warranty because it is a 2009!

On 3/13/2022 at 1:40 PM, C-437923 said:

I am having the same problem, could i talk to you. My email is martinrick@gmail.com

In the Cummins engine thread on irv2.com there are several long detailed discussions about the no-longer-made 650HP ISX. This 650HP version was only made for RV use, the trucking industry version was 600HP.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:40 AM, C-437923 said:

I am having the same problem, could i talk to you. My email is martinrick@gmail.com

You can try sending him a PM but the post is from November 1, 2015.

I would look at the post about it on the  Cummins engine thread on irv2.com.  that rayin posted about.

Bill

Edited by wildebill308