Has anyone used Progressive ins. If so how is it compared to other policies? I got a quote for 364 days a year and it was 2/3 what I pay now with Commerce, and Commerce doesn't cover interior appliances or other interior equipment.

Also Commerce agents don't know how to insure RV's I go through AAA. Its a 2015 Thor Class C, quote is with replacement insurance.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Roy, I cannot speak to Progressive, we have Erie with full coverage, I remember my wife telling me it was more than Progressive (we looked at it before) but so was the coverage, we usually max out insurance coverage to be safe.

I am curious to see what posts follow from people with more experience with claims etc.

When our legal domicile was NH we had Progressive. At that time (2002) GMAC did not offer full timers coverage in NH so I don't know about the cost comparison.

We had one claim that was handled quickly and fairly.

When we moved to SD GMAC did offer full timer coverage and was more than $200 per year cheaper so we went with them. GMAC is now owned by National General and is the company Good Sam acts as one of the brokers for. We had claims with them and they were also handled quickly and fairly.

I had Progressive for a year but dropped it at renewal time due to an outrageous price increase with no claims. When I cancelled my auto coverage which was due in 2 months, I received a phone call telling me someone had made mistake and asking me to reconsider. I had already replaced them with National General through Good Sam for less money than I had been paying Progressive and my auto policy is for one year instead of 6 months.

I now use AAA for everything, cars, motorhome, and sticks & bricks home. So far I am completely satisfied with them. I have $1000 deductible for comprehensive. If the windshield on the motorhome requires replacing the most I am out is the $1000.

I had progressive for about 5 years.

1st Claim was a comp claim for $5k, when during a storm the roof and hood on the class c was severely damaged by a tree limb. Progressive was out the next day, handled everything. Great customer service.

2nd Claim was a comp claim, boat was in storage and a winter RV'er set his Motorhome on fire trying to start it by pouring gasoline in the carb inside the RV where the doghouse is located. Poof. Progressive paid off a guaranteed value policy for $16k within 3 days after totaling the boat. I assumed they went after the RV'ers insurance company. RV'er burned up his motorhome, his brand new truck, my boat, damaged another boat, and destroyed a 5th wheel. I think his part time job was Rocket Scientist! But the pictures were great, and no one got hurt, even the mental giant.

Lived in Florida at the time. He was a Buckeye. I still say is was get back for the Gators teaching Ohio how to play ball. :D

Progressive slowly raised premiums. I discussed the premiums with Progressive, and would like to have still been with them. But, they became less competitive. Now, using Geico for about 7 years, no claims, except roadside assistance for the Motorhome, good customer service. Very little premium increase during that time. Went from Part time to full time, then back to part time Rv'n. Premiums adjusted appropriately.

Still check every premium period, and just can't beat Geico rates. The comprehensive claims did not impact my rates with Geico.

Bottom line, I had great customer service from Progressive in handling claims without a hassle.

All of our stuff is with USAA. USAA does not insure MH/BOATS/MC, basically recreational toys anymore. They send you to "Progressive for USAA Members" which I thought was discounted rates. Found out it was full retail pricing after upgrading our MH the premiums almost doubled. Shopped around and Geico beat Progressive by more than 30%. Coverage is exactly the same. No claims with either. It pays to shop around every so often.

I've had a couple quotes from Progressive but they were always high for me. The insurer's rates table are so finely tuned that there is no comparing any two peoples rate, but if Progressive works for you, go for it. However, I would suggest shopping around a few other places - you might do even better. An independent agent that specializes in RVs can find you quotes quickly with little effort on your part. Try Millers RV Insurance or Explorer RV Insurance (they have web sites). If an FMCA member, try through their agent-partner (Farm & City Insurance) via the application on the FMCA site. I just got an excellent rate on coach & cars through them, insured with Nationwide.

Edited by gbrinck

Since I was 19 I have been with USAA. They sent me thru an underwriter in Michigan, yet they offered me the best over all package. Although I am from Ohio and not required to hold CDL or "motor-coach endorsement" they accepted by equipment operator training from 1985-1989 USAF Crash Rescue. If you have documented training / history driving larger apparatus I suggest you speak with you agent about "credit" for your training.

We are with http://blueskyrvinsurance.com/ and are very happy with them.

We chose them several years ago when their price proved to be lower than Progressive. We're much happier with them and appreciate that they aren't as "ad happy" as Good Sam.

There is another company, named Overland Insurance Services that you might want to check with, too.

We have friends who work for Progressive that don't use them,.

We use State Farm Mutual not State Farm Fire there is a fee structure difference, and we only pay 2016.00 a year for full coverage, and 100.00 deductibles. Our plan covers it bumper to bumper inside and out, (I got it in writing) our Comprehensive plan covers everything inside and windows, and the collision covers drivetrain and outside.

Worth a look..

Good Sam wanted 3132.00 yr. and did not really cover squat.

Had Progressive, National and Allstate.... good, now expensive, somebody's got to pay for all the TV commercials! Now have Bluesky with disappearing deductible. No claim yet.

Note: If someone hits you, use their insurance (if they have it) or your rates will go up until you have paid your insurance company back! My truck got "keyed" and USAA paid claim, my rate went up on renewal. Still use USAA on my toad and other cars/truck, also house.

There are lots of "life insurance company's" that deal in RV insurance also! I and most of my friends don't have life insurance, but they use them for RV's.

We just switched fromthe Goodsam Ins, which is now Nat. General..Went thru the Allegro Club via Overland Ins. Co., the insurer is Allied which is a subsidiary of Nationwide..saved about $440 with better coverage and disappearing deductible..no claims...knock on wood..when we lived on the east coast, had a flood claim with a TT, at that time we were insured by Nationwide, claim was quickly settled with no hassle..

How much insurance you need is a personal decision of what it would take to cover your losses, and to meet any minimum limits of coverage you may have regarding underlying coverage needed to satisfy an Umbrella policy for instance. Just as campcop mentioned above, I also have Allied insurance which is a subsidiary of Nationwide. I have found Allied offers me the best coverage for the cost. Here’s a brief summary of the types of things that standard auto insurance policies most likely don’t cover and the reason you need RV insurance:

• Personal possessions within your RV like clothing, dishes, jewelry, and firearms.
  • Liability issues like your child throwing a rock through the window of the neighboring RV in the campground or you accidentally backing over something at the campground causing damage to the property.
  • Personal injury claims like someone being bitten by your dog or someone tripping and falling as they enter or exit your RV.
  • Full replacement cost of your RV. Instead, auto insurance policies reduce value due to depreciation. Full Replacement Cost is a BIG issue you need to be aware of and make sure whoever you choose for your RV insurance covers you for FRC in the event of a total loss. Also check out how long your FRC coverage will remain in effect.

Allied motor home insurance coverage includes Total Loss Replacement Coverage: “If your new recreational vehicle is totaled within the first five model years, we'll replace it.” And yes, with the way these motor homes depreciate you really need this FRC coverage otherwise you will take a huge loss if something were to happen and your new 2015 Tiffin 40 ft. Phaeton coach was destroyed. Many companies offer this coverage, just be sure you get it whoever you go with.

To give you some idea of the RV coverage offered by Allied you can check out this link: https://www.alliedinsurance.com/rv-insurance-coverage.jsp

Yes, it adds a few hundred $ to the premium, so FRC is a cost/benefit tradeoff. The FMV (fair market value) may be less than you owe if you financed most the purchase price and have a loss in the early years. However, if the loan is less than the FMV, it then becomes a question of risking your down payment amount vs the extra premium costs. Only you can answer that "need".

Typically FRC is offered for up to five years. After that, you may be offered Purchase Price Protection, which pays you the amount you paid for it originally rather than promising a new one at curent prices.

Pay close attention to the Personal Effect Coverage - chances are the default anount is too low for what you are likley to have with you in the RV (computers, clothing, toys, lawn chairs, etc). Also, policies often consider coach add-ons & accessories such as a tow bar as "personal property". Increasing that amount is usually only a few dollars per year.

if you have a home owner policy, you probably already have personal liability coverage and don't need more specific to the RV. Check your policy or ask your homeowner agent about being covered while away from home (in a hotel or campground).

I'v used Progressive for the last 10 years here in NC, thankfully never had to file a claim. Each year I shop around, including Blue Sky & GEICO. All have about the same rates as set by the NC insurance commissioner, so I'v stuck with Progressive. I wanted to go with State Farm since I have my cars and home owners there, but my agent says they dont do RV's in NC as a specialty and that I would be better served by another company with a specific RV policy. (He's a really honest guy!)

Just as an aside, if you just do the auto-renewal each year, you may end up paying more. Several years ago I got a lower rate from Blue Sky, then called Progressive and compared each line item. They still had me at the original purchase value, not the current market value, which is what I had given Blue Sky.

One of the insurer rate gimmicks is that they never change the insured value unless you ask, even though they are only going to pay out on the Actual cash (market Vale in most cases [Full Replacement coverage is a different matter, of course]. They could automatically adjust that every year if they wanted, but they don't. Therefore you need to ask the agent to do it every year at renewal time cause it often makes a substantial difference on the collision and comprehensive premiums.

I have an older motorhome bought new in 94'. I have had Progressive for several years. I have had some minor fully paid claims. I have kept Progressive also because of the full replacement value based on its value of several years ago.