eagle43

Tow Shield Or Cover

I have a new 2014 Ventana and flat tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee using Blue Ox. What is the best protection for the Jeep? I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

Bill

I have used the Ultra Guard and was very disappointed by the road damage caused to my car. There is a lot of debris that is sucked onto your tow vehicle by the vortex of the motorhome and right lane travel. A hard barrier sheild can still allow rocks to bounce over it or gravel to be sucked in behind it onto your tow. I went to a full front cover manufactured by Coastline Covers, the Tow Car Shield. I have been using it for 5 years now and could not be happier.

After 5 years of use, nearly 45,000 miles, there was wear and tear which is to be expected. I shipped it back to them where they repaired the worn out portions of the cover and shipped it back to me all in about 2 weeks -no charge! Great customer service, great product.

Www.coastlinervandoffroad.com/tow_car_shield.php

I have a full width rear rock guard on the back of the MH. To date, no dings on the tow vehicle.

I have RoadMaster Guardian Shield and use a furniture blanket across the windshield. The furniture blanket also keeps the windshield of the toad clean when traveling in nasty weather. Put the blanket across the windshield with wipers on top and close both doors on it to keep it in place.

I bought a Protect a Tow---Dont waste your money!! I have a rear exhaust MH and no one said anything about not being suitable to rear exhaust until I bought it and opened the box--I bought it from NSA, the tow bar people. When I read that it was not compatible with rear exhaust I called the mfg in Canada. They sent me a pic of a shield that another customer had fabricated to keep the device off the exhaust. I built it like they showed and the whole thing still melted into a pile of crap. First the spreader bar melted into a pretzel. When I called the mfg, their solution was to sell me another one!!! Then the shield melted with big holes in it. I showed it to NSA during a visit to the factory in Kansas and all I got from the owner was a shoulder shrug about how it was strange it had melted!! Anyway---rear exhaust will definitely destroy the shield as will heat from a rear radiator--it is all made out of some plastic material. Let the buyer beware!!!

X2 on Protect-A-Tow:

I just got back from a 3500-mile trip to Colorado using my brand-new Protect-A-Tow.

Two hours into the trip, the spreader bar self-destructed and flew off the coach. I found a piece of it laying on the PAT at the next stop. I tied the center loop up to the middle of the tow bar as a way to support the middle of the PAT and that worked pretty well for the rest of the trip.

Having heard about problems with rear exhaust, before leaving I bought some heat shield material from Amazon and fashioned it to the PAT over the part where it would touch the exhaust pipe. Good idea, but poor results as the material eventually shredded itself from the velocity of the exhaust (it wasn't burned).

Finally, when the PAT is attached it rubs against the baseplate attachments on the toad, so after 3500 miles it is worn through in those two parts.

I guess I chalk this up to a good idea in theory, but not a very good solution after all. I didn't have any issues with rocks or chips getting on the toad, which is good. I might have to look for another alternative as I think the Protect-A-Tow is going in the trash.

I have the Blue Ox BX88255 KarGard II and I have been using it for 2 years (since I bought the Lincoln MKX). I has done a fine job protecting the front of the car. I have a side exaust pipe.

p.s., Blue Ox has been wonderful to work with on some minor probelms I encountered.

I have been using the Tow Car Shield from Coastline Covers since 2010, and this is the best investment I have done so far. My Subaru Forester 2010 still looks like new after being towed over 30,000 miles.

Does the KarGard protect from the Grime (oil and rubber) that gets onto the toad? I find that it takes a few miles of driving the toad once unhooked to burn off the smell. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the vertical mounted KarGard?

The Blue Ox KarGard does not keep all of the grime, dirt, oil or rubber out. Much of that comes up as a fume mist and the air flow is sure to let some into the car's motor area. I have noticed a slight smell sometimes when unhooking and driving for a short distance. I don't think there is going to be a protective screen that can completely alleviate that problem.

Just a reminder put your air selector on your towed to recirculate it will reduce the smell in side the toad.

Bill

Yep, or turn the system off.