newsier

Flat Tow 2014 Ford Explorer Limited

Interested with your experience with flat towing a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4 Wheel Drive vehicle.

What electric brake did you install?

We are new to RVing and have 2 vehicles to choose to tag along. One is small at 2600lbs and needs a tow dolly the 2nd is the Ford Explorer and weighs about 4600lbs.

Some considerations are towing 2600 versus 4600lbs. Our motor home has a 5000lbs rated hitch.

From reading, flat towing is much easier than the dolly.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Glenn

Glenn, I started out with a tow dolly, it did work but it was a lot more difficult, just in setting up the car and securing it, plus depending on your site size "where do you park the dolly" always seemed to be a problem, and since the coach was so big backing up the dolly (with no car) was almost impossible for a back in site, so I had to unhook it and walk it into a parking spot which was not too difficult but I always managed to get dirty at some point in the process between that and laying on my side in the road of the campground to hook the safety chains to the car.

We bought a Jeep to flat tow and a Demco tow bar, no problems with either so far; since we do not camp full time I cheeped out and bought a Roadmaster Apollo brake box that sits on the floor from Ebay for $155.00. It works fine for what I need it to do but it’s not the best design nor is it the most convenient to set up every time, on a good note and I am legal with it. One day I want a system that is hidden in the vehicle with proportional braking, in my opinion that is the best way to go.

The brake system selection would depend on the coach you have, since it appears you have air brakes your options are very good...it just depends how much you want to spend and what your expectations are from the system, I would prefer proportional braking not the system I have now.

Oh yea, other than the brake box install prior to leaving the set up only takes me 3-5 minutes with the tow bar vs. 20+ with the dolly, and I don't even break a sweat.

Hope this helps, as the saying goes "you get what you pay for".

Joe

Glenn, I started out with a tow dolly, it did work but it was a lot more difficult, just in setting up the car and securing it, plus depending on your site size "where do you park the dolly" always seemed to be a problem, and since the coach was so big backing up the dolly (with no car) was almost impossible for a back in site, so I had to unhook it and walk it into a parking spot which was not too difficult but I always managed to get dirty at some point in the process between that and laying on my side in the road of the campground to hook the safety chains to the car. [/size]

We bought a Jeep to flat tow and a Demco tow bar, no problems with either so far; since we do not camp full time I cheeped out and bought a Roadmaster Apollo brake box that sits on the floor from Ebay for $155.00. It works fine for what I need it to do but it’s not the best design nor is it the most convenient to set up every time, on a good note and I am legal with it. One day I want a system that is hidden in the vehicle with proportional braking, in my opinion that is the best way to go.[/size]

The brake system selection would depend on the coach you have, since it appears you have air brakes your options are very good...it just depends how much you want to spend and what your expectations are from the system, I would prefer proportional braking not the system I have now.[/size]

Oh yea, other than the brake box install prior to leaving the set up only takes me 3-5 minutes with the tow bar vs. 20+ with the dolly, and I don't even break a sweat.[/size]

Hope this helps, as the saying goes "you get what you pay for".[/size]

Joe[/size]

Thanks Joe.........it certainly gives me more food for thought! I priced up a total Blue Ox Tow Bar system, from tow bar to brake - came to about $3300 - about the same as a top of the line new tow dolly. This of course is without installation.

Thanks again.........and yes - I have air brakes.

Glenn