Sign in to follow this  
cmarq

Laminate Flooring Installer In CT

I am looking for a experienced installer in Connecticut that could help with laminate floor install in my 2003 Pace Arrow MH with slide.

I have the flooring and would like to do the prep work myself. Dealers will only do the whole job and with their materials.

Any leads would be appreciated.

cmarq,

I know you would like to provide all the material yourself. However if you have a RV dealer or flooring company do the complete job, then you have something to fall back on if something is done wrong. If you just have someone do the labor only, then you don't have a leg to stand on if something goes wrong.

Lots of us like to DIY but there are something best left to the professionals.

Hope you find someone that can help you.

Herman

Flooring company can't make money on labor alone they also must sell the floor. Your wouldn't take your own steak and eggs to a restaurant and tell them to cook it. That's what I tell customers that brings their own parts to my shop and ask me to install it.

cmarq, your an advanced member. We are just trying to be of help, nothing personal. What kind off flooring do you have now? Also, is the replacement floor the same height as current floor? If not, then you will have to adjust slide outs.

We have members that are experts in flooring....

Good Luck.

I was service mgr for Cummins in CT so I am very aware you don't want customers bringing in parts, I am not asking for a dealer or flooring store to install my flooring. I got quotes from some and they are way beyond what I can afford.

I am looking for a installer independent or that does side work. I had a chance to get flooring that is a very good quality and just the color and style we wanted for a very cheap price due to a job gone wrong for someone else. It is a laminate floating floor 1/2 inch thick. I emailed Fleetwood to get a height from sub floor to bottom of the slide.

They don't have exact measurement but said should be OK. I have carpenters that would help but we can't find any info on how to start under the slide it is a power gear flush floor slide. I have searched you tube and RV mod blogs and found lots of info but nothing in detail of how to do under the slide. Once I get past that it is pretty straight going with only a small jog in the kitchen area.

We are retired and on a limited income so as much as I would like to drop it off and tell someone to do it I can't. I purchased this unit a 2003 Pace Arrow 37A about 5 years ago it was sadly neglected sitting in a muddy campsite under trees The price was what we could afford and I am able to do most everything myself.

I have installed new window awnings flat screen tvs, inverter and more over many hours of labor. It is almost in like new condition. The laminate floor has been on our wish list for a long time. We see many pictures on the internet of it done and love the look. I don't have any issue with no warranty, the time I had this in a dealer for the brake recall they wanted to replace the pads with only 1300 miles and no wear or damage they charged me for a flush and new brake fluid and less than a year later the right rear sized the dealer would not help at all. I changed the caliper, pads and did a flush and new fluid myself.

If anyone knows of a video or instructions of how to do under the slide I would appreciate it.

cmarq,

Go to the Forums here and look in Coach modifications. There are a number of post with regards to changing carpet and tile to laminate and hardwood flooring. If I remember there are one or two that had pictures and/or videos.

Hope this helps.

Herman

One is 2 May 2012, the other is 28 Dec 2014....on this page, just look for it. I don't remember witch one, but he did everything himself (first time) and I believe it came with pictures and very good details on hit and miss.

Understand your situation and in awe of what you have already done....your way beyond my abilities and what I would even try!

Happy travels

Carl C.

First, remove all the old material and clean the floor good. Lay a piece of new material by the slide. Operate the slide and see how the slide comes up and over that piece. Tell us what you find

cmarq, I didn't want to sound mean in my statement just that I dealt with it all. I had callers that wanted to use their own parts, want step be step what I did on the invoice and a 20% discount on top of it all. If you can find a flooring mechanic that can help you off duty that would be great. Somehow 1/2 inch sounds thick to run the slide over it. Like Ernie says try material under the slide before you install it. Better to know before you install and find it won't clear.

Thank You. I do appreciate the info. I guess I will have to pull up some of the carpet and see if it's going to clear. Fleetwood tech support felt the carpet and pad was about the same height. I will be sweating and nervous until I know. I do know about customers I spent several years at Cummins Ct as service mgr. Its a no win job customers beat you up I was called a few names I hadn't heard before, owners want more profit, techs want more money, less work. I guess I should have rhino thick skin by now. When they asked me to go to full time instructor and field service engineer I said is "10 seconds too soon to say yes?" As soon as the Connecticut weather improves I will start.

When it is in now over the carpet no, if I push the carpet and pad down as much as I can it's close. I think the carpet and pad is 1/2inch +.

I guess i had tunnel vision, There was a small area that has no carpet when the slide comes in, I did get one of the planks under about 1ft then it runs into carpet again. The advice everyone has given me has convinced me it will work. Now the big problem is the weather we won't be above 50 degrees with rain and snow again. forecasts say 1-2 weeks before we improve. I talked to a couple of carpenters who did not want to do a motorhome and they say do not do it until we get a lot warmer. We start camping in May I guess we may have to take time out later come home and get it done. Thanks to all who have helped me with advice. When I do start i will post.

Erniee, thank you for the info. We have decided to start our season as usual and come home for a week or so during summer when temps are up. I do have temp guns and will use one. As much as I we would like to have it done I am a believer in doing it right and not having to do it twice. Thanks again

I agree his and every ones advice has been a big help, Mechanics and electrical are no problem for me but woodworking? I have been very nervous about doing and this once the carpet comes up no going back, Thanks to the info I got here I am convinced it will work. I just need to keep telling myself to go slow and double check my measurements so I don't have to cut three times. Thanks again