Peggy Headrick

Residential Fridge Turning Off And On

Class A 2012 Fleetwood Expedition Whirlpool residential fridge just started turning off and then back on almost immediately. RV technician checked our inverter batteries and they are not the problem. Has anyone had issues with this? Wondering if the fridge needs to be serviced already.

Thanks,

Peggy and Rodney Headrick

Is this a factory install or did you install it afterwards? Is your inverter a modified or pure sine wave inverter? Most residential refrigerators require a pure sine wave inverter. I believe the popular Samsung residential refer is the only one that states using a modified sine wave inverter is permissable.

Peggy, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Expanding on Jim's post.

Did the Coach come equipped with this current refrigerator or did you change out the OEM refrigerator?

Most of the new refrigerators do not like the Modified Sine wave power supplied by many of the inverters. Many of the newer coaches are equipped with a Pure Sine Wave output inverter.

Could you post the Make and Model of you inverter; and if it was part of the Coach OEM equipment.

Rich.

The coach came with the fridge and I believe it has a modified sine inverter. It is a Magnum Energy MM series inverter and I'm not sure of the model. It's either MM612 or MM1212. How do I find that info?

Magnum energy claims to be pure sine wave. I wonder if it goes off and back on, on shore power, or only when used with the inverter power? Also when it goes off, does lights inside go off and the temp control reset itself?

Peggy ! Doubt you have a ME612. like Kay mentioned- Have you tried to run the Refrigerator from shore power?

The ME-1212 series is a modified Sine wave inverter.

The MS-2012 is a Sine Wave inverter.

Have you added any electrical items to the coach,-possible over load issue?

What is the charge level of the coach batteries?

Overload
During inverter and AC Shore Power operation, the inverter monitors the AC and
DC circuits. In the event of a short-circuit or overload condition, the inverter will shut
down. The inverters LED turns OFF to indicate the fault condition.

Over temperature
During inverter operation, if the inverter becomes overheated, it will shut down to
protect itself from damage. The inverters LED turns OFF to indicate the fault condition.

No rest information listed in my information!

Rich.

Mine is a Whirlpool Gold and it needs shore or gen power to run. Otherwise the light goes off. I don't boondock so it works for me!

Could be the inverter input voltage (battery) is dropping below the allowable level when the compressor starts resulting in the inverter shutting down followed by an immediate restart. Could be as simple as a battery terminal needing to be cleaned or a bad ground connection causing excessive voltage drop between the batteries and the inverter. As noted by others, verify it works on shore power before proceeding. If is does then look for either battery or wiring issues.

My (self installed) Samsung had a similar problem that was fixed by changing the wiring between the batteries and the inverter from 2 gauge to 00 wire. When the compressor started the surge caused nearly one volt of loss in the 2 gauge wiring. Increasing to 00 wire solved this problem. I do have excessive length between my (dedicated) inverter and the batteries of about 15 feet (30 round trip) which is (was) a major contributor to the loss. Yes, I would like to mount the inverter closer to the batteries but there just is not a location suitable that is closer.

Lenp

Thank you all for your comments. We are on shore power, but traveling tomorrow for 3 days to AZ.

My husband tested the batteries today using a hydrometer and they tested OK. Batteries are about 3 years old now. The charge level of batteries is 13.2 right now.

Inverter remote control panel shows battery in save mode. He cleaned the batteries and checked the connections today.

We did not have any other electrical items added in the coach, everything is original when we bought it.

We have not seen the fridge go off since yesterday.

I had the same issue and it turned out that the vent in the freezer was blocked by ice so that the cool air was not getting to the fridge compartment below, causing a shutdown. After I thawed the freezer, all returned to normal. The cause was that I had put a square boxed pizza in the freezer. It shifted against the vent hole and ice formed there. Now I either buy round pizzas or otherwise make sure the vent hole is not blocked. Problem solved.

I have to agree with Lenp. When did this start?

Also, I know various rigs with different residential and continue using there MSW inverter. However most are in the 2000 watt range. Why not turn the power off to the inverter. It is normally 1 CB that feeds the inverter and then the output feeds to another CB panel. By turning off the AC power to the inverter, you can watch and see what happens. Try to create it just like you are driving. No TV, microwave etc items like that.

Same problem with my 2012 Monaco Knight, after SEVERAL trips to service and them telling me my inverter was fine, I took it to the selling service dealer and they replaced the inverter... Problem FIXED!

Dave,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!!

Thanks for your feedback!

Could you post information regarding the inverter.

Was it changed from a Modified Sine wave unit to a Pure Sine wave type unit?

Rich.

I had the same issue and it turned out that the vent in the freezer was blocked by ice so that the cool air was not getting to the fridge compartment below, causing a shutdown. After I thawed the freezer, all returned to normal. The cause was that I had put a square boxed pizza in the freezer. It shifted against the vent hole and ice formed there. Now I either buy round pizzas or otherwise make sure the vent hole is not blocked. Problem solved.

dmbamwarth,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

I just found your post regarding the refrigerator issue.

Thanks for taking the time to post the information.

Rich.