cdfendley

Flat Towing An Early Ford Bronco

We currently use our 2012 Jeep JK as a toad. However, I have a 1976 Ford Bronco that is in need of some restoration.

My thought was that if I am going to do some work on it, I might as well make modifications to it so that it could be flat towed.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thoughts?

Am I outright nuts?

Where are you at? Any good after market 4x4 shops in your area? You could check with Remco for a drive shaft disconnect, then transfer case in N.

Carl

If the transfer case is a manual one, has 4H 2H and 4L with neutral included with the manual shift, all you will have to do is put the transfer case into neutral, and the transmission in park, you will be ready to go. To test it, put the transfer case into neutral, shift the transmission into drive, if the engine revs, and the Bronco does not move, you should be good to go. Please remember to put the auto trans into park for towing if the above works.

Kay

I am in northeast Texas, so relatively easy access to 4x4 shops. I know that putting my jeep transfer case into neutral and then into park works great, but wasn't sure if it would work with the Bronco.

Here is a link to a listing of early Bronco clubs, If one is in your area you might contact them. They may be able to help with this question and your restoration

broncohq.com/clbs-broncoclubs.html

If it doesn't work google early Ford bronco clubs

Cd, ford made several transmissions back then, one of them I thnk it was an FMX, cast iron case, it had the pump on the driveshaft end of the Trans, which circulated fluid with the engine off, you could flat tow that, all other transmissions the pump ran off of the engine at the front,those were aluminum cases and could not be towed without a driveshaft disconnect. You might be ok with shifting the transfer case into neutral, that would be worth looking into, in fact I am pretty sure you could do it, those old transfer cases were built to last and it's unlikely you could damage it. I do not blame you for wanting to tow the Bronco, that would be a lot of fun to drive around.

If you can tell me what transmission and transfer case model you have I can make a phone call to a friend that off roads these...he still works at a Ford dealer.

I tow a 1990 Bronco and have not needed any modifications. Just like yours, my Bronco has an automatic transmission and a manual transfer case. We simply put the transfer case in neutral, leave the transmission in park (but make sure the steering doesn't lock), and drive away. We've had no troubles. The quick test proposed in Kay's post (above) is the same one I use, and the same I would propose for you.

Good luck and happy travels,

Tim