hudstur

Flat Towing KIA Soul

Kia says no on 2014 model, which is the one that I drive. I use tow dolly for this one. Of course you didn't mention your year model, but I think it is the same on all of them.

If your unit is still in the factory warranty, any mods will void your warranty, this includes wiring in the tail lights. I checked with the manufacturer and this is what I was told by them.

Kia says no on 2014 model, which is the one that I drive. I use tow dolly for this one. Of course you didn't mention your year model, but I think it is the same on all of them.

If your unit is still in the factory warranty, any mods will void your warranty, this includes wiring in the tail lights. I checked with the manufacturer and this is what I was told by them.

Mr Smith you can tow the 2014 and 2015 6 speed standard trans KIA Soul with no problems I talked to Kia in GA and got the TSBs from KIA Korea that shows the 14 and 15 are approved by Kia and would be glad to share with you if you have the standard 6 speed.

I have been towing a 15 Soul base 6 speed for over 2000 miles, its a fine little car, we enjoy this car and it is a quality built car.

We do have one recall i will past it.

Recall Number: 15V123000 Recall Date: 03/02/2015

Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL

Problem Summary: Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Soul and Soul electric vehicles manufactured July 21, 2013, to January 8, 2015. A section of the accelerator pedal may bend and fracture.

Consequence: If the vehicle has a bent or broken accelerator pedal, the driver may have difficulty accelerating the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do: Kia will notify owners, and dealers will add a supporting rubber underneath the pedal stopper, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 24, 2015. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC116.

Can you give advice on towing a KIA SOUL behind a motorhome four wheels down?

Thanks.

Yes you can tow the standard 6 speed 4 down, no to the auto trans. I used the Roadmaster EZ 4 Brackets and was a easy install along with the Roadmaster Brakemaster the only help I needed was setting the front cap off the car on to a blanket to prevent scratches and back on the car, it was installed with only a little trim for the brackets that would not be noticed if brackets were removed

Walt

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I have the auto transmission, which can't be towed four down. I wasn't even thinking about manual trans., as most manuals can be towed 4 down. The wireing

mods that I spoke of are still true, any intentionally cut wireing of the harness, including to add diodes for the rear lights, brake, turn signal, and tail, according to the dealer and Kia motors will

void any factory warranty. I only added this so anyone can check for themselves.

Thanks again, Kay

I do not want to argue the void of factory warranty deal but I will say they would have to prove that caused a or the problem according to the Magnuson- Moss Act passed years ago, dealer or KIA can't just say its void.

Great , so now we can match the Kia Soul with the 2016 TREK 26HM motorhome.

Cannot thank you all enough.

And if you do get one go to http://www.kiasoulforums.com/ for great advice and how to add a OEM cruse for under $70 , a Keyless remote for under $20 plus lots of other things in the how to/diy section.

Walt2137,

I would be interested in and appreciate if you would share the information you received from Kia GA and Korea regarding the Soul.

We just purchased a Soul base this past weekend.

Thanks in advance.

I would be glad to but just for your info the John Johnson the guy that does the FMCA towing guide always gets approval from the factory before he post the towable on the towing guide.

Contact me at walt2137@yahoo.com and I will send you a copy of the TSB.

I found a simple solution to installing tow lights on our 2015 Soul, I removed the two red reflectors from the bumper and installed two Peterson V426KR round tail lights sealed water tight lights incased in a black rubber seal, they fit snug in the hole .

Walt

Rihanna actually you can put the key in the ignition turn it on and turn it back to off leave the key in the ign and and tow, the steering will not lock until you remove the key so no power used but If you have a toad brake that pushes the brake pedal it will light the toads brake lights and you will need a charge line .

Walt

Can Walt2137 provide me with a copy of his TSB estabishing Kia's support for towing the Soul 2014 and 2015 flat.  When I shopped my Kia I was told more than once by Kia dealer staff the drive train for the 2016 is the same as those in 2013-2015.

GMZARNICK,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You might send Walt a private message.

Just click on his screen name (left side of screen).

Then click on "Message"

I've been towing a 2013 Kia Soul+ 6-speed manual for several years without any problems.  Several weeks ago I took my Soul to the Kia dealer for some expensive warranty work (a/c compressor).  Absolutely no problem with the warranty.  Kia covered 100% of the work.  The Service Manager knew it was a towed as he commented on the good job the RV dealer did on the Kia.  So at least in my instance, towing a Soul did not invalidate it's warranty.

cdubee,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Agree, towing should not blanketly invalidate the vehicle's whole warranty.

BUT,  were you to have a driveline problem during the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, things would likely be VERY different.

Cdubee, I just purchased a 2013 Kia Soul+ 6-speed manual for flat towing, encouraged by your success story.  However, I'm worried that no Kia products are listed on the FMCA towing guide for 2012-2013.  They only are listed for 2014-2016 model years (manual only of course).  And interestingly...the 2010 and 2011 are listed by FMCA as towable, so the only non-listed model years are 2012-2013.  

Your case is the ONLY one I can find on any towing forum of successful towing of this vehicle four-down.  

Question for you and wolfe10 (moderator) and anyone else who can chime in:

1)  Have you heard of any other 2013 Soul+ towing success stories?

2)  Do you happen to know what changed in the Soul design between 2013 and 2014 that allowed the 2014 and later models to be listed as towable?

3)  Have you or anyone monitoring this post talked directly to anyone from Kia about towing the 2013?

Thanks!