FMCANationalOffice

Easter Memories ...

My favorite memory for the Easter season was when my Mom and my sisters would go into the city to purchase our Easter finery including a new hat, shoes, coat and dress. Folks were not rich but we always got a new hat for sure since we all wore hats to church. Most of the other clothes were salvaged from one child to the next and since I was the oldest and biggest I usually got the new things. Mom made a lot of the clothes so we were most likely to be found in the fabric shop...except for the HAT! :rolleyes:

Easter morning, about 1955, my mother feverishly prepared a leg of lamb before herding my sister, our father off to church in our Easter best. Upon return, there was an explosion as my mother entered the kitchen. Our leg of lamb was reduced to a bare bone by a smiling and very happy Siberian Husky. After calm returned, we enjoyed a vegetarian Easter Feast. Our family dog was banished to her native homeland in northern Russia. :rolleyes:

Sometime in the 1970s ...

In the upstairs, un-air-conditioned bedroom I shared with two of my brothers, we had our own Easter egg hunt with hard-boiled eggs that we had enjoyed coloring.

Well, about a week or two later, we noticed an odor emanating from somewhere in the room.

We traced the smell to a hard-plastic gorilla-with-a-banana piggy bank that rested on a shelf.

Someone had removed the plastic stopper on the bottom, and hid an egg inside.

It stank to high heaven. I think my brother took the whole gorilla, egg and all, outside and threw it in the garbage can.

post-220-0-13024200-1428001249_thumb.jpg post-220-0-18684200-1428001262_thumb.jpg