Sign in to follow this  
MONTIE

Washer Dryer Combo

We have bought a new MH, Monaco Knight, it come without a wasger dryer. I have been looking for a good one and decided to buy the Splendide 7100 XC Washer/Dryer - Platinum, I noticed it was non-vented model. I am concerned about the moisture in the coach, is this OK for RV use or would it be better to find a vented one. The MH is plumbed for water and drain, I do not know about a vent

Mine has a vent, and it does not look like too much trouble to plumb one in. That said, the dryer does not dry all that well - I may have a stoppage in the vent hose supply - replaced the hose a few weeks ago. Laundry day has clothes out all over that place. If I ever have an occasion to have the machine out of the cabinet (MAJOR hassle) I will check it out.

That said, it seems to work great, and as a single person, the small capacity and long operation time is not a problem. Lint is expelled with the wash water, and that waste water strainer/filter needs attention every week or so - easily accessed and cleaned.

I would not have a RV without it.

Guest Wayne77590

Mine is vented. They wash well, small loads at a time, but leave everything wrinkled when drying, no matter what setting it is on. And, drying is very slow. Probably because it's 110V.

I think vented is a better way to go. One of the things the instructions say is to crack a window to relieve the pressure in the coach. We do that all the time.

We had the Splendide 2000 installed, the installer added an external vent. Venting was straight forward, a louvered plastic external square vent was placed over the round hole cut in the siding. The washer/dryer works very well for small loads. It takes a long time to cycle, but we start it and go on our way for the day. Because of the heat and moister of a wash and dry cycle I would insist on an external vent in the close quarters of a motorhome.

Read this ... the way I understand is that all moisture goes out the drain and none into the coach:

NO DRYER VENT REQ. ON THIS MACHINE: This machine incorporates an internal condenser for drying. All humidity stays

within the unit and is drained as water. No heated or air-conditioned air is exhausted outside, so no vent is needed. This not

only conserves energy, but also avoids problems with the delicate air balance requirements in large multifamily complexes.

We had a Splendide vintage 1994 that was not vented. The dryer operates by circulating cold water through a jacket that surrounds the drum. Water from the clothes condenses on the inside of that cold jacket and goes down the drain. Substantial cold water is used to keep the jacket cold and it will remove water from the clothes but not very effectively. A vented drier is a much better option. We have a Splendide vintage 2003 in our current coach. It is vented and works much better at removing moisture. Heavy clothes such as blue jeans still require some air drying or a second run in the dry cycle.

If you have a vented dryer and it isn't drying most of the clothes in a load, you are either overloading it or have a blocked vent. Our dryer is so close to the outside wall of the motor home that the dryer vent is flattened considerably. Even with this, it functions well. Doing a new install, be sure that the vent on the outside wall lines up properly with the vent on the rear of the dryer if possible. Ours is offset about 8" and that is where the vent is flattened.

...you are either overloading it or have a blocked vent....

I am missing a few socks, so will check it out. Thanks.

Jack

Very quick and to the point. Non-vented dryers are junk. Check around and you will not find one happy user.

The unvented model takes longer to dry and uses more fresh water - it uses fresh water to cool the most air, condensing the moisture out of it. I would strongly recommend getting the vented type unless it is impossible to rout a external vent from the location.

We are considering buying a motorhome that has a "washer/dryer combo" as opposed to a stackable washer AND dryer.

Can anyone out there in RV land tell me what they think of the "combo" and any good/bad experiences they may have had with it.

Thanks.

Hi Maiti62!

Welcome to FMCA !

I'm not the main operator of ours, there are some tricks to loading and using them. The DW attended a seminar at one of the FMCS Rally's to get the lowdown.

Do know that they work OK, just have to get used to smaller loads, but then I'm only the traveling Mechanic.

Rich.

Washer dryer combo load size is so small and takes so long, my wife considered it useless, especially since we stay in state parks w/o sewer a lot. She couldn't wait to get rid of it. She much prefers the storage space and we use the laundromat.

If you prefer the combo, I would strongly advise a vented one, otherwise it will take even longer.

Having had both unvented and vented, we will not go back to a unvented. You can wash twice as much as you can dry in a load. We wash a load, take out half, dry, and then dry second half. Yes, they do take longer to complete full cycles, but a load or two a day for a couple of days will take care of your needs.

Mine is vented and it works great. A small load everyday or so is all it takes for one.

I'll start the load before I take a day trip and on return everything is done and dry.

Sometimes I even do a load going down the road.