Sign in to follow this  
mapleskoff

Winterize In South Texas?

Taking a trip to South Padre Island next October and leaving rig in the area for winter. Returning in February for a month, or so. Rig will be stored. Do I need to winterize it? Never have spent colder fall/winter in South TX, so haven't any experience. Do winterize at my home area in WI. Any help is appreciated.

Doc Mike

Mike,

EXTREMELY rare for there to be a freeze in the Rio Grande Valley-- after all, there are a lot of orange and grapefruit trees that are very happy here.

South Padre Island is even less likely to have a freeze, as the Gulf mitigates big temperature drops. But, on the island, you will have more issues with corrosion.

Many thanks. I'm moving the old Class C out of Wisconsin early, so as not to get snowed in during January and February.

Not been so far south in TX, but looking forward to it this next winter. Appreciate your prompt response. Happy holiday!

Doc MIke

And I'll reinforce Brett's answer. We've been here for 14 winters now. We occasionally get temperatures overnight that get down to 32 or maybe even a few degrees colder. We actually had several inches of snow on the ground Christmas morning where we are in Edinburg. I think that was 7 years ago. It lasted until about noon before most of it was gone. On South Padre Island, the temperatures are more moderated by the Gulf of Mexico so you shouldn't expect freezing temperatures there.

By the way, October is a great time to be here. The temperatures are coming down from the extremely warm summer temperatures and October brings some very nice days. Plan to stay for a few days before returning to Wisconsin.

Thanks all for the responses. As former Phoenicians, we are somewhat aware of the temps in TX, though weren't motor home owners when we lived in AZ. Also recall October being a very pleasant time of year in the Valley of the Sun. Don't regret following one of our kids to SC and now to WI (our others are in the Seattle area; been there, done that), but having grown up in the winters of lake effect snow in NE Ohio, we want to remove ourselves from the worst of winter if we can. At least by storing the MH TX from October through our February arrival, we'll not have to waste the $$$$ on winterizing it, and we have an excuse to get out of town and follow the changing leaves south. We'll just spend the $$$ on fuel and campgrounds, LOL.

Be well all, and enjoy the coming pleasant weather.....it must be spring someplace!

Doc Mike

I live in Texas City, TX about 40 miles South of Houston. There have been a few winters where the temperatures dropped below 32˚ for a few days. When that was predicted my winterizing consisted of draining everything, blowing out the lines with my air compressor, and putting "pink" stuff in the drains. So easy to de-winterize when the time comes, and refil the tanks. I've only done that a few times in the past several years. If you are not going to be around to watch the weather, then precautions should be taken, as we do get some freezing cold snaps. Most only last about 4-6 hours, but there are times when it an stay below freezing for more than a day. Those are the times that are of concern.