Sign in to follow this  
gwtriker

Access To Generator

I have a 1998 Fleetwwod Bounder with 5500 watt Onan generator. I am trying to trouble shoot the "not starting" problem.

How do I get better access to the generator. It seems to be bolted in place, without any way of pulling out through the compartment door.I have seen/heard of other MH's that the generator could be pulled out on a "sliding" mount after removing the anchor bolts.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Marty Link

Marty, The removal of the Generators can be challenging. Think that if you do not have the instillation manual with you paperwork that this link might be helpful.

Page 22 list the models and the different manuals you can purchase.

Not all installations are the same or the space where they are mounted. So this makes each instillation a little different.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/Common/pdf/rv/F-1123.pdf

Think that if you can reverse the instillation process and the proper equipment you can get it to where you could work on it.

Label all the wiring, fuel lines and anything that you need to remove - this helps when reinstalling. Also plenty of pictures before removing items comes in real handy.

Rich.

This link and information might help with some information on the mounting.

http://www.cumminson...s/900-0541B.pdf

I have a similar problem. Ours is an ALFA 40' diesel with a front/center Generac/Guardian RV 7500 with a trashed fan belt. No access to the belt area(s) from the nose door, and the Genset is bolted to frame rails. Anyone with experience pulling out a 400#+ Genset from the nose of an ALFA to access the side panels?

John,

The majority of the generators that are bolted to the frame require the center section of the front cowl be removed, then one needs to raise the front of the coach.

Removing the 12 volt wiring, the 120 volt at the interface J box between the coach wiring and the generator, the fuel lines and exhaust plumbing.

Loosen the bolts holding the generator and the coach frame.

Then one needs at-least a pallet jack or forklift. Blocking things where needed and with the center section removed from the front of the coach, most will roll out through that space.

Then replace anything that needs replacing / check everything over closely. You should be able to run the generator to test it if it is very stable on the jack or pallet before reinstalling.

Not knowing your skill sets it might be better to get some help!

Rich.

Rich:

Thanks for the tips. I do have help with a resourceful contractor/son. We wonder if using steel rails and a sturdy platform with a come-a-long to tease the unit out might work in lieu of a pallet jack? There is vertical room in the ALFA nose to raise the unit over the fiberglass spoiler.

Thanks again for your input.

John

John, Most likely your thought regarding sliding it out would work, but they are hefty so a good means to raise and lower them is also necessary - Plan ahead on just how you might get a good pull point to get the unit back under the coach and still be able to get it back up and to also move side to side / back and forth to get the mounting bolts into place.

Rich.