kennyblanchard

Want To Register RV In S.D.

We live in Louisiana now and are buying a new RV in June(on order). Our plan is to part time till sell the house Jan 2016, then go full time. Registering in Louisiana will cost us 8.75% sales tax. I found out that being a S.D. resident is cheaper(4% tax). Can I become a resident of S.D. now and save that difference. That's a big chunk of change!

Oregon is even cheaper with 0% sales tax. Of course, you have to meet residency requirements of the intended state. Louisiana will not take kindly to loss of revenue.

If you look at the classified section of the FMCA monthly magazine, listed under Miscellaneous, there are ads every month advertising "Montana LLCs" with phone numbers to call and speak with an attorney to set up a limited liability company (LLC) registered in Montana. I have read that a LLC in tax-free Montana can help you save $1,000s on RV registration. Montana has no sales or use tax and there's no required vehicle inspection. Your Montana LLC owns the vehicle; you simply drive the vehicle and Montana plates are among the lowest cost in the 50 states. I would do a lot of homework before proceeding, but this might be a possible option to check out.

It was 3% not 4% and I just checked the Dakota Post (was Alternative Resources) mail service web site and they still show 3%.

You can change your legal domicile to SD and register your vehicles there. The problem is that LA wants any vehicle primarily garaged there to be registered there and if it is like many other states will fine you if they know you have the RV garaged in LA and registered in SD. You might not get caught but you might.

The Dakota Post web site has a lot of info about becoming a resident of SD and offers some services to help you do that. We used them for 12 years and they did a good job for us.

DAKOTA POST WEB SITE

If you've ordered the motor home and it is being delivered to you in Louisiana the battle is likely lost. You could try making the move to South Dakota and register the motor home there immediately then keep it somewhere outside Louisiana. You don't mention where you live but if close to a the state line it might work to store it in a neighboring state. We were registered in South Dakota for almost 10 years. It worked well for us. A couple of days in South Dakota and you can have your drivers licenses and sign up with a mailing agency. We used My Home Address, Inc. in Emery, South Dakota. I highly recommend them.