jegall

Dolly Towing Lincoln MKZ-- Front Wheels Keep Turning With Steering Wheel Tied Down

My 2013 Lincoln MKZ front wheels turn with steering wheel tied down. I have broken 3 tie straps on dolly when I make a 90 deg turn . Anyone know of a fix for this problem ? MKZ is 2.0 liter cannot toad on ground.

Jim Gallaway

Owasso,Ok

jegall@att.net

918-284-6071

jegall

Welcome to the FMCA forum!

Check your dolly, it will either have an upper deck that is supposed to turn when you turn or it has steering that will turn when you drive around a corner. When they are being tranported (no car) there is a pin to either lock the steering or the upper deck, I suspect the pin is still holding the steering or deck from moving.

Joe

The upper deck is unlocked and turns to the stops but on 90 deg turns it is not enough so the wheels turn on the car and break the tie downs.

What brand dolly do you have?

Are you pulling forward when this happens or trying to back up with the car on it?

My 2013 Lincoln MKZ front wheels turn with steering wheel tied down. I have broken 3 tie straps on dolly when I make a 90 deg turn . Anyone know of a fix for this problem ? MKZ is 2.0 liter cannot toad on ground.

Jim Gallaway

Owasso,Ok

jegall@att.net

918-284-6071

What brand of dolly do you have? Why do you have to tie down the steering wheel?

Bill

American dolly, I was told to tie down steering wheel to stop front tires from turning. It does not work.

I have push button starting and shifting no key.

jegall, I recommend reaching out to the manufacture, I looked over the dolly on their website and it looks pretty straight forward, no crazy designs etc. Not much different than the one we use to have. I can say I never experienced this problem with the brand we had a few years back. The other concern is we have several hundred tow dollies where I work for rentals and I have never heard of a strap breaking (other than abuse) and even that was rare.

Good luck and please post back with their recommendation, I am curious to hear their thoughts, and someone else may have an experience like yours.

I have a connection at another manufacture...if the answer you get doesnt work P.M. me, I will be glad to reach out to my friend at other brands engineering and ask if they have any suggestions or ideas from their product testing R&D department.

I looked all over the website and they don't have the instructions on line. What do your instructions say about how to set up for towing? What are they calling "pivoting"? They don't give a good explanation on the web site. The pictures don't show any mechanism for it to pivot.

Bill

The only time that I have broken a strap was between Chattanooga TN and Gadsden, AL. Very rough interstate at the time, and I had put too much pressure on the strap, won't do that again.

The American tow dolly, and the Acme tow dolly look to be the same design. I have not seen an American, but have been around several Acme's. There is no pivot, and Acme tells up front that the steering wheel must be left unlocked. Go to Acme website and look at the utube video.

Correction on my part, after careful observation, the American does claim to have a swivel table, and the pictures when blown up, does confirm this.

It seems as if there could be some binding when the car is loaded.

I would have someone follow and observe to see if that action is occurring while loaded.

Correction on my part, after careful observation, the American does claim to have a swivel table, and the pictures when blown up, does confirm this.

It seems as if there could be some binding when the car is loaded.

I would have someone follow and observe to see if that action is occurring while loaded.

I noticed the swivel also, but you have to wonder with the weight of the car is there is a teflon pad under so the car's weight does not make it bind?

I could see the car's weight playing a big part on this making the upper table bind and jamb.

That was my exact thought, that is why I recommend having someone to follow. I noticed that there is a one year warranty on the product against defects in parts and workmanship. If it does not swivel, it would certainly qualify if within the time frame. Personally, and this is not meant as a solution, I would pin the swivel, and try towing with the steering wheel unlocked, it would probably work better for the application if there is enough clearance to accommodate this.

That was my exact thought, that is why I recommend having someone to follow. I noticed that there is a one year warranty on the product against defects in parts and workmanship. If it does not swivel, it would certainly qualify if within the time frame. Personally, and this is not meant as a solution, I would pin the swivel, and try towing with the steering wheel unlocked, it would probably work better for the application if there is enough clearance to accommodate this.

I was thinking the same thing. I would have someone watch and try some tight corners in a parking lot. The only potential problem is the fenders might hit in a really tight turn. I did see this happen on a different make dolly but it had fenders further back. The owner had left the steering wheel un locked and it allowed the car to make contact with the dolly. I think with this one pined it would tow just like my Acme tow dolly. With the steering UN LOCKED that would solve all the problems.

Bill

This is not meant to be any kind of an endorsement, I do not now own one, nor know anyone affiliated with the company, but have observed many, the Acme is in my list of things to order. I like the concept.

This is not meant to be any kind of an endorsement, I do not now own one, nor know anyone affiliated with the company, but have observed many, the Acme is in my list of things to order. I like the concept.

I have one and it did work. I did see on the web sight they have a new style metal ramp I think it may be a good improvement over the plastic ramps I got.

Bill