eight

Towing a Ford Focus

Just purchased an Allegro 32SA and now have purchased the Focus for a toad. Manual states that the battery must be disconnected. Will install a switch but will that wipe out the clock and electronic settings such as Bluetooth, etc? What about the lights. Can I rewire these to battery direct and charge the battery from the coach?

My first post so be gentle!

Welcome to the forum gently. :lol:

Now do they give a reason other than preventing the battery from going dead to disconnect the battery? If not you can connect a charge line to keep your battery charged. You can use a product like this http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html

Some have built their own version. In 12,000 miles last summer I never had the battery go dead on my CR-V and I am suppose to pull a fuse but don't.

I hope I was gentle enough.

Bill

Wbill,

Just heard from Ford and the auto trans clutches are electric. If they have power and inadvertently engage it will burn up the trans. I have heard the radio settings will not be affected but the clock will need to be reset. Think I will test that one.

Just purchased an Allegro 32SA and now have purchased the Focus for a toad. Manual states that the battery must be disconnected. Will install a switch but will that wipe out the clock and electronic settings such as Bluetooth, etc? What about the lights. Can I rewire these to battery direct and charge the battery from the coach?

My first post so be gentle!

I am towing a 2015 Ford Focus and following the tow procedures you mentioned. SW Driveline in Yuma placed a sissors/blade cutoff on the positive pole even though the instructions say to disconnect the negative pole----and I drove to Pomona and back without any problem--then SW contacted Ford, and I go in next week to have a smaller cut-off placed on the negative pole after the battery is rotated. Currently the negative pole is back underneath the windshield frame, that is why the positive pole was initially used.

Yes, all the electric is disconnected, but in my car without all the added trimmings, only the clock and date were affected and the odometer as well. Watch out for dealerships that follow another towing guide and say all one has to do is put car in neutral and turn key to accessory---in that case, according to the manual, you can drive 30 mph for 50 miles in an emergency!!! Service manager at Yuma dealership told me to do this as well as the 'flyer' they use. So follow the info in the manual and contact Ford.

joanne harnit

Thanks for the info. I could not find a mfg that had designed a base plate for the the 2015 so I found a new 2014 and saved over $6,000. On my car the negative cable attaches to the frame to the right of the battery in plain view and easily accessible. I plan to have a disconnect switch in that location. I really like this little car. Since I have all the electronic options I may see if those circuits can be direct wired to the battery so they will not lose their power source.