gerrya123

Pain Medications That Require Monthly Prescription

Going to be starting a new life as full-timer and I have pain medication that requires a monthly prescription.

Is there something I can do to obtain prescriptions?

Any history?

New federal guidelines require that you see a doctor monthly to have SOME of the pain medications rewritten, the doctors are not allowed to write a refillable prescrition for the ones that are on the list.. There a few alternative medications, but they are not as effective. Thank you BIG BROTHER???

http://www.koco.com/news/new-rules-make-hydrocodone-painkiller-prescriptions-harder-to-refill/29002078

Sad to see such drastic measures which are caused by abusers.

Talk to your doctor. If the prescription can't be submitted to the provider electronically, have him mail it to your mail handling service and then it will be forwarded to you. You may have to contact the doctor each month to provide the location where you prefer to pick up the medication if you are moving frequently. If you must physically see a doctor each month for this prescription, you may have to limit your mobility, staying in an area for several months at a time in order to make it easier. Working with the same doctor in each location for a period of time will help. Like all regulations, there are good reasons for the restrictions. There were some doctors who were known for writing prescriptions for huge amounts of pain medication. Many patients were addicted and the medications were being black marketed to support the addiction of those patients. Thank those who were abusing the system for the increased monitoring of pain medications.

Here on the Texas border it is common for people to go to pharmacies across the border to obtain prescription medication. Many prescription drugs in the US are available without prescription in Mexico. For those medications that require a prescription most pharmacies have a doctor who can see you to write a prescription. You may be able to obtain prescriptions for more than a single month this way. Taking the prescriptions back across the border is not guaranteed but I've never had a check done the few times I've obtained medicine in Mexico. Medicine is cheaper in Mexico but the prices seldom beat what our insurance coverage would provide so we seldom used this source.

My wife's doctor wrote several prescriptions that were post dated and gave them to the pharmacy. The pharmacist filled one each month and mailed it to us.