papermaker

Emergency Exit Window

Hi, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I have a sliding Emergency Exit Window ( I don't like it, not enough room for safe escape ) that I want to replace with a swing out type window. If anyone knows where I can get one I would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

paperhaker,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please let us know what make, model and year coach you have. Then someone with the same coach may be able to help you.

All coaches that I know have emergency windows that swing out. On my caoch, a 02 Monaco Dynasty, there are two. One is the window over the couch and the other is over the head board of the bed. Both have RED Latches that lock and unlock the slide and have, at the bottom, two RED handles that unlock the bottom of the window so it may swing open.

Hope this helps and again Welcome to the Forum.

Herman

I may be wrong but believe that if it doesn't swing off, it isn't an emergency exit. My emergency window slides open for daily use as a window but has red levers at the bottom that release the whole window to swing out and off for emergency. Now, the hight and small size are an entirely different story. Pretty sure this old codger ain't fitting and if I do, will break my neck on the way down because the only way I'm getiing out that little hole is head first and 7 feet down.

Rory,

Just after we bought our last coach I got locked in the coach, the dead bolt lock got stuck. I had to go out the bed room window. I am here to attest to the fact that us old codgers can do it. I opened the window and went on my belly out feet first. It went fine until my belly was in the window and I was out up to my belly. Now here is the fun part. When you get your belly over the window edge your b&*8 is on the ground. :wub: So it can be done but it is not graceful.

Herman

My emergency escape window is behind the headboard. There is no way that we can get out that window. I know the reasoning is that the escape has to be on the opposite side of the coach from the door, but the only bedroom window we can get out is a sliding window at the foot of the bed on the same side of the coach as the door. That window is wider and the sill is closer to the ground. We would have to use that window.

You might think you can't get out that escape window but you haven't really tried. There was a fire in a motor home that was parked just one space from ours several years ago. The two residents are older than us and much less mobile. Both got out of the emergency escape window. They were scraped up and bruised but they got out and walked away from a rig that burned to the floor. That was their only way out as the front of the rig was already fully involved when they woke up. If you really believe that you can't get out that window, you should think seriously about finding a solution. There are rope ladders which can be stored inside. You could leave a ladder outside that window every time you park. Maybe you need to shop for another motor home with a better set-up for an emergency window. I wouldn't want a motor home that I could not escape from in an emergency. It's not an item that is high on everyone's shopping list but it should be.

Ross,

Both Tom and I have the same coach, Monaco. We do have a escape above the bed, however there isn't a head board that covers the escape window. If you have a coach that was made with a head board covering the escape window, I would be on the Mfg. to correct the situation. That would an unacceptable and very unsafe situation.

Good luck and be safe.

Herman

My emergency escape window is behind the headboard. There is no way that we can get out that window. I know the reasoning is that the escape has to be on the opposite side of the coach from the door, but the only bedroom window we can get out is a sliding window at the foot of the bed on the same side of the coach as the door. That window is wider and the sill is closer to the ground. We would have to use that window.

Hi, I have the same situation with my bedroom layout. I want to replace the window at the foot of the bed with a swing out type, if I can find the correct size.

Thanks a lot, I'll keep looking.

You might think you can't get out that escape window but you haven't really tried. There was a fire in a motor home that was parked just one space from ours several years ago. The two residents are older than us and much less mobile. Both got out of the emergency escape window. They were scraped up and bruised but they got out and walked away from a rig that burned to the floor. That was their only way out as the front of the rig was already fully involved when they woke up. If you really believe that you can't get out that window, you should think seriously about finding a solution. There are rope ladders which can be stored inside. You could leave a ladder outside that window every time you park. Maybe you need to shop for another motor home with a better set-up for an emergency window. I wouldn't want a motor home that I could not escape from in an emergency. It's not an item that is high on everyone's shopping list but it should be.

We can easily get out the sliding window I referenced in my post. It just isn't the one over the headboard.

I guess it was inconceivable to me that an escape window would be behind the headboard (covered by the headboard). Is there some kind of break away mechanism that would allow the headboard to be removed or lowered quickly? I don't know how the coach design could pass safety codes if the escape window is really inaccessible.

While both Herman and I have Monaco coaches, ours has an escape window above the counter on the section with drawers for clothing. It is accessible and allows us to sit atop the counter to get into the window easily. It is on the same side as the door. We have an escape window in the living room above the couch that is on the opposite side from the door. I don't know what the exact regulations are for escape windows but it sounds as if each has to be on the opposite side of the coach which also ensures that one is opposite the door as well. By the way, when we take our grandchildren on trips the first thing we do with them is to have them open the escape windows so they not only know where they are but also how to operate them. It also breaks the "seal" so they open easily. That is something I try to do frequently.

Regarding finding a replacement for your window, Papermaker, I would suggest contacting companies that do coach modifications. Look over the ads in the FMC Magazine. I've attended sessions at rallies done by some of these companies and they do amazing things. I'm sure that replacing a window with an escape window would be an easy fix for them if you find the right company. I don't have any name for reference but if you can't find someone in the FMC Magazine, try the internet. I seem to recall companies in Oregon, Indiana and Florida that do that kind of work. I'm sure there are others.