Sign in to follow this  
F213633

To Remove Or Not Remove The Slide Toppers

Hi, has anyone any experience for removing the toppers and leaving them off?

We have Carefree slide out topper awnings on our Monaco over here in the UK, they have taken a hammering over the last 7 years and now need to be replaced. We are seriously considering removing them all together and not replacing them.

Has anyone done this? What are your experiences please?

I ask as we are currently away and there are several American RV’s here nearly all are topless and never seem to have experienced issues as a result, there was a similar aged Monaco that never had the toppers from new, they left before I could ask.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve,

The slide toppers keep rain, dirt and leaves off the slide. Particularly in your damp climate, I would be concerned about removing them.

Be sure they are properly tensioned so that they do not flap in the wind. If that is the problem, you would probably want to address that problem, not just leaving the toppers off.

Hi Brett,

I now need to search the web to check how to tension them correctly; the hand book say putting them in and out does that, but has made no difference. They will need replacing soon and one issue is finding someone over here that is capable they are large on the two main slides (161 inches wide) and I think that is beyond my capability.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

As Brett said they keep a multitude of items off your slide top. If you are parked and there has been either snow or rain and you pull in your uncovered slide some of what is on the slide may or may not be wiped off by the seal. That what is not wiped off by the seal comes in with the slide. Then mama see the puddles on the floor and mama is not happy. :angry: None of us wants mama unhappy. :P

Herman

You can replace those by yourself but it is much easier to replace them with assistance. I've done it several times. Your assistant doesn't have to have any mechanical talent, just an extra pair of hands helps. If it were my motor home I'd replace the toppers and that is the perfect time to adjust the tension. When you get the replacement from Carefree of Colorado, they will match the size and color based on the serial number of the toppers. You will find that serial number on the roller. You can unroll the roller by hand with the toppers in place, simply rotate the roller to loosen the fabric until the bare roller shows up. Look for a label, usually on the other end from where you are standing on the ladder. Copy down the serial number and model number. The serial numbers will be different on the two toppers even if they are the same size. Contact Carefree of Colorado and they will ship replacements. You might want to have the dimensions of the toppers in hand just in case they ask for that information but my experience is that the serial number identifies the product in their records.They come with installation instructions and it is for the most part a screw driver and wrench process in my experience. You will need a good stepladder to allow you to get to the toppers from the side of the coach, it can't all be done from the roof in my experience.

To adjust the tension, you will first remove the topper, slide it out of the rail on the roller and the rail on the roof at the same time. Before removing it you will block the roller so it won't unwind the spring completely (directions in their instructions). Measure the width of the old fabric and compare to the replacement. Any change in width will have to be taken into account when you make adjustments in the tension. If the replacement is longer (more to wrap on the roller), it will take additional and additional 1/2 or full turn to take up the additional fabric and the tension won't change. If the replacement fabric is shorter (less to wrap on the roller), the tension will be greater with no adjustment. With the fabric off, remove the block on the roller and give it an extra turn winding it against the spring tension then block it and install the new fabric. If it just needs a little tightening I'd just do a half turn. Most rollers have a two rails located 180 degrees apart. If you think it needs to be a lot tighter, give it a full turn. But beware, you can tighten the spring too tight which could 1) inhibit the ability of the slide to move out freely or 2) over-tighten the spring causing the spring to break or 3) both of the previous problems. You don't want the fabric so tight that you can use it for a trampoline, just enough to keep it taught in its extended position.

After adjusting the tension then install the new topper. Before doing the second slide you could check to see if the tension is what you want and then make the same or a different adjustment with the other slide. You might hold off any finish work (caulking or sealing around screws, etc). on the first slide in case you decide you need to make further adjustments in the tension. That of course would involve removing the fabric and re-installing it.

In addition to the reasons given by others, another reason I like the toppers (may not apply in the UK) is that they do a wonderful job of insulating the roof of the slide-out from sunlight and the resulting heat. They will significantly reduce your need for air conditioning in hot weather.

Hi all,

It seems the consensus is don’t remove them but leave them (do a temporary repair on one for now) then replace them when I can, it sounds simple(ish!) based on what people say. I have just found a couple of you_tube vid’s that show how to do it. I will contemplate for now and look to find help, I presume after doing the first the other three will be easier…! Experience and all that.

Many thanks for all the input I really appreciate it, Carefree sell all I need so just need to get them ordered and pluck up the courage.

Cheers

Steve

Just one addition to Tom's very good instructions. Be sure to clean the seal and inspect for damage on the top side while the fabric is off, then, use the recommended lubricant. This will help in the sealing process. With the topper in place, this would be impossible to do.

Kay

Steve - Here's another point of view... A few months ago I accidentally side-swiped a tree trying to maneuver down a very narrow, winding state park road, and pulled off the rear passenger side slide topper. It was quite surgically done - considering that a tree did it. The topper assembly was pulled completely off, with no other damage to the RV (a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton). We still had several weeks left on our current trip, so I assumed I'd get it repaired when we returned home - and in the meantime, we'd just put up with it.

What I learned - I don't think I'll get it replaced. My reasons:

- We've had no rain or leakage of any kind coming in thru that slide, despite the missing topper.

- I have always inspected the roof of the RV before pulling in slides - especially if we've spent time in a wooded/windy area. I've gotten into the habit of simply brushing anything I find off of the slide toppers with a long broom - takes about 2 extra minutes. So having to brush off the top of the exposed slide is really nothing new to me.

- With the topper gone, I no longer have to worry about puddles of water forming in the low point of the canvas slide topper. As you probably know, those puddles can cause the topper to not roll up properly when pulling the slide in. Also, if you camp in the winter (which we do) those puddles do freeze at night and now you have a mini-iceberg to wedge off the topper.

- Also, with the topper gone, I don't have to worry about high gusts of wind (in a campground) flapping the topper around, causing noise, and possibly damage to the topper.

- I guess in general, I have found it to be one less moving part to worry about, maintain and repair.

I admit I would not have been bold enough to remove the toppers myself, but having had it removed for me (by the tree), I have pretty much decided that I'll not have it reinstalled.

Good luck!

Gordon