Sign in to follow this  
gaylemarlowe

Poly-Glo?

I did a search thru the old forum items, but did not turn up anything on this product. Anybody know anything about it and have an opinion to share? Don't know if it is like a wax or something that I should not use on our DP coach?

I see that you havent had any response on your question, as of yet; so will tell you what I know.

I ordered PoliGlow to use on our 2000 Dutch Star's gel coat. I had found information on-line that made it sound good for gel-coat, mainly on boats, but a little info from some that used it on motorhome gel-coat. Being somewhat leery, I used it on the front "hood" and on the rear back cap. I found it a little tedious to apply. I was getting some air bubbles as I applied it, but suppose that was because I needed to develop the proper technique. It does require several coats to get good coverage as the instructions state. It did provide a shiny gloss to the dull gel-coat, however, it decided it was too much work to apply to all the gel-coat sides of the motorhome, so didn't. The first application was applied about 2 years ago and has held up just fine, but I should go over it again. I haven't been motivated to do that yet.

I may use the remaining supply to do the gel-coat on the boat. I will probably be easier to apply to a boat hull since the sides of a boat don't have the attachments and broken surfaces as the motorhome has.

PoliGlow is a liquid like Mop and Glo and is applied with a supplied applicator. The applicator is a 3x6" sponge covered in a material that looks like Chamois.You wet the applicator and "smear" (for lack of a better word) it on.

There is information on-line if you search for PoliGlow.

http://www.poliglow-int.com/

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=44247.0

Thanks for the response. I was glad to see someone respond who had actually used it and what their experience had been. I was concerned that it was some kind of plastic product that may peel off after some time, but from what you say it goes on and wears like wax.

My brother suggested it to me and we both may try it on our coach's.

Regards

Be sure you are not sensitive to strong chemical smells. I talked to the company rep at a rally and asked him about that. He told me if I was sensitive to chemicals not to do it myself. He gave me the contact for there Canadian rep and he put in touch with someone to do it for me. We had our fifth wheel done and it still looked good when we traded it for our coach. You have to make sure it is totally clean before you seal it or it will show.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am unusually sensitive to certain chemicals. Good to know about that and I will find someone else to apply it if I go that route.

We had our 31' class A MH detailed and PolyGlo was used. The cost to do it and clean and treat the roof with another product was $450. Kinda worth it as it took 2 men 4+ hours to complete applying more than 4 coats. Getting the coach spotless before the polyglo took most of thier time. Not knowing anything about PolyGlo at that time the finished result was amazing, great shine. Now 3 years later areas in the front and rear have worn off and the remaining is very difficult remove. Not wanting to continue with the $450 every year i wish i had never done it. Areas on the side of the coach you can see it has worn off evenly so a recoat would be possible but the front and back where wind and rain have worn it off very uneven is not re coatable unless you don't mind seeing an abrupt difference in the coat. My suggestion is don't use it unless you are prepared to recoat every year.

A friend who is a chemist told me that Poly Glo is identical to acrylic floor polish except there is no UV inhibitor. So I saw the results from his hull and it really does shine.