Sign in to follow this  
santacarver

No Hot Water When Connected To 50 Amp Electric

I have A 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD Cat 5 diesel pusher. I'm having an issue with my gas / electric water heater making hot water when driving down the road, with both gas and electric water heater switches turned "off."

When I pull into a campground/RV site, we have hot water. If we are in the camp connected to 50-amp service with the electric or gas water heater switches turned off, we do not get hot water. The only thing I can think of causing this could be something to do with the inverter running when driving and powering the water heater on.

Is this normal?

Anyone heard of this?

Bruce, Check and see if your coach has a hot water heating loop connected to the engine cooling system. This is an option on some coaches. This set up keeps the water hot when you are driving.

Rich.

Bruce,

When hooked up to shore power[50 amp] and you turn on your hot water [electric] do you get hot water after a short warm up time?

Your water heater needs to be on either Gas or Electric to heat the water.

Herman

As Rich said, check that you do not have a 3 way water heater: MOTOR-AID, electric, propane. You can check by water heater model number or by checking for coolant lines (5/8" is a common size) running from engine to water heater and often on to the dash heater core.

And your title suggests that the electric portion is not working, but you do not mention that in the body of the post.

I believe that Brett is right. I read the post three times to make sure that I am not misreading, with the switches OFF, you wouldn't expect to make hot water, but with MOTOR-AID, you would be heating, with your engine coolant. This is to back up Herman's remark.

Itasca (Winnebago) mostly all have Motoraide water heating. Convenient for folks in a hurry. Just turn on the water heater when set up for camp!