Sign in to follow this  
wa4vif

Picking Up A Coach In Phoenix

Hello all.

I plan to pick up a new-to-me Country Coach in Phoenix in the next ten days or so and drive it back to Alabama. I've never been in the southwest and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on travel routes, places to stop overnight, things to see on brief stopovers without a toad.

I'll be traveling alone and may detour through Clovis, NM to see my nephew.

I think I40 is the preferred route and I'll have GPS but additional info is always welcome.

Thanks in advance.

John

John,

Welcome to the Forum.

Is this your first coach/first Diesel Pusher? Wondering how comfortable you are driving a DP in the mountains. Use of engine brake/service brake?

And, Phoenix to Clovis you can go either I 10 to Las Cruces and up or I 17 and I40 and down. I would check weather before making a decision-- I 10 is at much lower elevation.

From there, it really depends on where in Alabama you are headed-- Mobile would suggest a different route than Birmingham.

Hello John, welcome to FMCA. Congrats on the the NTU CC. No advice on routes but always good to see a fellow ham, N4WQP here.

Happy motoring, Kay

Thanks, Wolfe10, for the suggestions. Yes, this is my first DP but not my first Class A, though the other was years ago and much smaller. The only mountain driving I have done is in the Smokeys, which I gather are foothills compared to the Rockies. Never had a diesel before so the exhaust brake will be new. I will likely stay in the Phoenix area for a day or two to check out the coach and get accustomed to it. I suspected I10 might be a better choice this early in the year. Being from the Deep South, my snow-driving skills are nonexistent.

Thanks, Kay. I wish I could say I'm a very active ham but that's just not the case. I grew up in Irondale, so I'm somewhat familiar with your neighborhood. Hope you got through the tornado ok in 2011. Big mess in this area. I see your MCI in your avatar. Are you active on the BCM board? I've been lurking there for several years. Great info from that group. Hope to meet up soon.

Thanks John, yes I missed the tornado by 1 mile, not active as much as I used to be, no I don't do the BCM board. You may want to look at I-20 in mid Tx, it actually runs out into 1-10, passes right through B'ham., as you know. I'll be close to your qth this AM, Moulton to be exact. It's about 120 miles nearer, and not too bad roads or hills.