Sign in to follow this  
mspector

Battery Compartment Rusted Hole In Floor

My battery compartment floor has developed a few holes and needs to be repaired the holes are probably from battery acid.

What kind of a shop would I look for to do this kind of work.

What can I do go see that this does not happen again?

mspector,

Welcome to the Forum. Your compartment is most likely made of mild steel. Most any good welding shop should be able to remove the bad compartment bottom. Be sure to have the rest of the compartment cleaned, primered and painted with a good paint.

Others may have an even better solution.

Herman

Depending on the size of the holes, if not too large yet, you might consider just removing the rust with a wire brush, then

grinding smooth. Then you can use epoxy resin and fiberglass mesh to cover the entire bottom of the compartment. Most auto restorers use this method to replace floor pans. The end result should last a lifetime, and is non corrosive to the battery acid

You can find the material at most automotive parts stores, box building stores, and marine shops. Directions can be found on the products, and youtube has videos on how to.

Good luck, Kay

mspector, You could look into some plastic battery trays. They are made in sizes that match the battery Series, like series 31, 27 and so on.

They are used on boats also and there are a number of possible web sights.

They have a low spot in the center with a hole to let the acid drip out of and one can use the opening to direct the acid to keep it away from the battery tray by drilling a hole in the support tray.

Rich.

Note ! Before welding on the coach, you must remove the ground connections from both the Coach and chassis batteries to minimize the possibility of damaging the Engine and Transmission control modules and other electronics mounted in the coach.