MSONTHEGO

Group Caravanning Guidelines

I need some help. I will be traveling in late June with several others, each of us in our own RV.

Have been trying to find some guidelines regarding group travel. What speed should we travel. With any RV I usually follow the posted limit for trucks, is this usually best?

How do you handle one in the group who refused to stay at the group speed.

How much spacing between rigs.

We will try to stay on secondary highways as much as possible so what is safe to allow others to pass.

Any other basics, thoughts, ideas, things you have learned during group travel, all would be greatly appreciated.

CDL drivers are taught the four and five second rule for spacing, this allows for sudden stops, and courtesy for others passing.
If you are not familiar with the rule, simple way to follow this rule is to watch the next ahead of you, below 40 mph, if you
will spot something, a sign post, or light pole, on anything not moving, if you will count the seconds, 1-2-3-4, then you should be at that object. Above 40 mph, the rule changes to 5 seconds. Auto's in most states are subject to the two second rule.

I suggest coming to an agreement about the speed that you want to travel, posted speeds should be good, but some may want to travel at a speed that probably is a little lower because of fuel consumption. The ones that will not abide by the set plan, will probably go off and leave the others behind. Not much can be done by you or others in the group. That job is usually left
to local law enforcement. Planned stops at fueling stations is a good idea when traveling in a group.
Have fun, enjoy the trip, and welcome to the forum, Kay

(PS) I'm sure others have their own ideas, and will voice them, that's why it is a forum.

Msonthego,

As Kay said welcome,

First the one that leads must be the one that knows where you are going and knows the route. All in the group must agree on the speed. As far as spacing there should always be enough space for more then one vehicle to pull in if they need to if passing.

We just came to Arkansas with another couple and they lead. He travels much slower then I do. [60-62 mph] I normaly get 6,7 mpg and today i was averging 7.9 mpg, maybe I should slow down.

Herman

I need some help. I will be traveling in late June with several others, each of us in our own RV.

Have been trying to find some guidelines regarding group travel. What speed should we travel. With any RV I usually follow the posted limit for trucks, is this usually best?

How do you handle one in the group who refused to stay at the group speed.

How much spacing between rigs.

We will try to stay on secondary highways as much as possible so what is safe to allow others to pass.

Any other basics, thoughts, ideas, things you have learned during group travel, all would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. I think traveling in a "Caravan" is the worst way to travel and very un safe and in most cases quite dangerous. In todays world where everyone has a cellphone you have instant communication with all the members. If you want to camp together plan on what camp ground before you leave and be shore everyone knows the address. If you all want to stop for lunch plan ahead on a place to meet. This allows each to travel at their own pace.

When I went to one of my first RV Rally they had a couple of outings planed. They insisted on Caravanning. There were seven cars in a line and they didn't share the address where we were going. This was on secondary roads and through towns with traffic lights. There were people trying to beat lights and those who didn't make the light were speeding to catch up. The leader was driving slow and this backed up traffic that tried to pass in unsafe conditions.

Well after a couple of these adventures I told them just give me the directions and address and I will meat you there. No more trying to beat lights so you don't loose the leader because you don't know where you are going.

OK, OK you get the point I think Caravanning is not the way to do it. I just finished hosting a rally that included trips to several attractions in the Fort Worth Dallas area. We gave everyone maps and detailed instructions and no one had a problem getting to a destination.

Bill