medico

Leveling My HWH Air Leveling System On My CC Magna

I was asked by a fellow member to post how I accomplish the calibration of my HWH Air Leveling System on my Country Coach Magna. The calibration system is somewhat rinky dink to say the least on this system. It does not take a heck of a lot of bouncing around on the "fine" roads in this great country of ours to knock it out of calibration.

Here is what I do if the coach is not level after doing the auto level procedure:

1) I do try to auto level first.

2) Next I will use a bubble level on the tile floor at the front of the coach to manually level front to back, then side to side. I check both the front, middle and rear of the coach. I get the coach as level as possible.

3) The inside process is now complete.

4) Find the actual HWH leveling computer. Mine is located in the front, driver's side compartment. This is a 3 level (3 circuit boards, one behind the other in 3 separate boxes held together with rubber gaskets) system. On the lower left side of the front most box are 2 screws (one Phillips and one hex screw). One controls front to back, the other controls left to right.

5) You will see 4 small LED lights on the front circuit board inside the front box. These correspond to the LED lights on the inside leveling panel. You have to adjust these 2 screws one at a time until ALL LED lights are off. Once they are all off, the system is calibrated. It takes a little getting used to. As you adjust front to back or left to right the opposite ones also change a times, so you might have to readjust slightly until they are all off.

6) The Auto Leveling System should now be calibrated.

HWH%20Calibration1_zpsj9bs8ruc.jpg

Medic,

Sounds like your friend has the set up down pat !!

Question, how often does he need to reset the level point(s)? and is there more problems on rough roads ?

How far is if off most of the time?

The fact that things are changing would lead me to the level sensor(s) and how well they are mounted and to what.

A call to Country Coach might prove helpful in regards to the sensor specifications and the system tolerance.

Rich.

Note, you did not post the model of the System!

Rich, It was a fellow member I have never met that sent me a PM with the question. I am unsure how bad it gets for him.

Yes, On my system the calibration is close, but does get affected more by rough roads. Like I said the mounting system of the calibration board is not very good. I did actually get the calibration procedure from CC.

Medico, thank you! I figured ours out tonight, after reading your post today I was determined to figure this out and make it right. By the way love your coach, very sharp unit.

We have an HWH series 600.

Step 1. Check air pressure I was at 100 psi engine off, I figured this was enough to complete the task at hand.

Step 2. I manually leveled the coach with the up and down arrows, verified with a level on the kitchen floor I was level. Both slides were out.

Step 3. With the air system on I had two yellow lights on in the front and right side, (this means the system thinks we are not level when we actually were) I located the leveling sensor (that was the hardest part of this simple task) (looks like a UFO with a wiring harness, three screws and springs between the ceiling and the body of the sensor). Ours was located in the ceiling of the same bay as our inverter, under the kitchen.

Step 4. My wife sat in the drivers seat and I adjusted the screws until the yellow lights went out.

Step 5, Verification: I purposely changed the position of the unit, dumped the air bags, and pressed the air switch twice and it leveled. My back up compressor turned on which I never knew it worked since I never have heard this turn on.

I was shocked how simple this was.

Medico, Thanks for your reply, was typing a reply and hit the backspace key-LOL not what one wants to do ****

Anyway, I see jleamont set a reply relative to the leveling issue.

The spring disk he mentioned is an item I'm fermiller with and the spring mounting and those things can bounce around an that will upset the ajustments.

Would be interesting to know if the board and wiring is the same on your friends setup.

If the sensor is mounted on the board and it can move around, then I'm thinking the mount would need to be stiffened up somehow.

Rich.

I believe stiffening the calibration board mount would be a big help. Mine can move. On one trip over a particularly rough road the calibration was thrown way off. We had to go to the dealer. They found a problem with the system and changed 2 each 7.5 a fuses with 10 amp self closing breakers which solved that problem. The coach will self level and every 1/2 hour checks the level again as long as the system is left on when the ignition key is shut off. It took a while to get used to every once in a while hearing air going out or the air pump coming on adding air somewhere, but this keeps the coach level. I have found that over time the coach does lower itself closer to the ground. We can see a several inch drop over a few months timeframe. Because of the air leveling, it is affected by air temps. and of course if we're on anything by pavement or concrete it does sink into the ground due to weight. Even on gravel I will sink in a couple inches or more over a few months. When we sat in our former driveway for one month it sunk into the blacktop about an inch.

I do seem to have a problem, possibly unrelated to the leveling computer, whereby the front of the coach does not automatically go into travel height. I have to set the auto travel to Travel Mode. The rear goes to travel height, I then manually put the front to the same height. This might be related to a solenoid or something. Eventually I'll have to figure this out.

Thanks Medico!

Called HWH to get this problem fixed, they said they couldn't get back to me for two days. You explained how to calibrate it very concisely. I too have a CC, mine is an Allure 470 Siskiyou. My control board is mounted side to side however so the adjustment screws needed a mirror to see them. I believe you are correct, with the forward compartment mount, it takes abuse on bad roads and that's what likely threw mine out of whack. Fixed now though!

When I level mine with air or jacks, I place my level on counter top, not floor...I have used floor before and had butter in a fry pan go towards front of coach.

Carl

Everyone need to make a visual picture of this. A 6'8" man putting butter in a hot pan and running back and forth to check the level before the butter melts. :P:D:lol:

Herman, as I read his comments I started to laugh picturing it :D:lol:.

The perfectionist in me does not like the calibration design on this coach. When I go to calibrate it the window of accuracy is broad. I make the adjustments when it is actually perfectly level, when it levels itself I get close but not as perfect as it was when calibrated. I have tried to trick it and I guess I will just have to live with it.

Thank you, Herman, I needed a good laugh this am! :lol: It happened in another coach, when I used the floor for calibration...but, you knew that ! :P

Medico has the key. The sensor unit must be firmly mounted. If bumpy roads shift the sensor unit then the calibration you have done is lost and the coach won't level properly.

Our sensor unit is mounted in the storage compartment which is under the refrigerator. I think this was done to ensure that the refrigerator was level. To adjust my sensor I have to lay on my back and use a mirror to see the lights! After several rounds of doing this I put new screws in the mounting hardware and I haven't had to adjust it in years.

I'm not worried about the butter! If I can get a wine glass to stay upright on the table, I'll live! :D

Thank you, Herman, I needed a good laugh this am! :lol: It happened in another coach, when I used the floor for calibration...but, you knew that ! :P

I was picturing you as laying down on the floor and seeing which way you rolled. Oh well.

All of you, I will try to explain my reason for using countertop rather than floor to obtain level. The floor is on the chassis first and then the sides and furniture including cabinets are installed. I don't think the builders are always as exact, on the zero bubble, as they should be. Therefor the floor could be level and the rest of coach...not !

I prefer to have my furniture level, if the floor is a quarter of a bubble off, that does not bother me! Now, in a perfect world....

Carl

They should have the leveling controls near the stove, but, I use the floor by the leveling control box. Then, first time DW cooks she will let me know it's not level and I bump it according to her wishes until she says "Okay!" (That is when my leveling jacks are working.)

Hey, I am master of my RV. Whatever my wife says shall be done!

Thank goodness the topics are kept on the forum. Lot's of good reading. 

I have a question on this topic. My old CC Inspire had hydraulic jacks so i don't have any experience with this type. My new to me CC Intrigue has the HWH system.

About the only thing I am missing is do I dump the air suspension before I try to level?

The lights illuminate on  the panel but i really don't feel a difference either way. As we know on the other system you can feel the coach almost jump.

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Most of the time I assess how the coach is sitting . My system doesn't level as well as I would like on automatic,  so I will do it manually.  I have a bubble level I set on the floor and adjust from there. But yes sometimes I will dump first then raise as needed.

Herman 

Actually, every coach maker has  a prescribed sequence for leveling and slide deployment.  What works for one may harm the other.

PLEASE verify what your coach manufacturer's recommendation is!

Thanks for the info. Sorry to be so ignorant but it is different than the Power Gear system I am use to. Even after reading the manual everyone's advise still came in handy. I went our last night and figured everything out. Leveled up just like it was supposed to. Thanks again.